We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

calling all posada owners!

Which Margarita Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kitchener, Canada
reviews: 105
calling all posada owners!

I came to your wonderful island last march(and January, but did that all in) and stayed at a few of your places. Loved it! great island, as safe as any other place I have visited, even more than trinidad, puerto Rico and others. people don't all seem to understand that margarita island is truly an island unto itself. its a paradise. the mainland nastiness is just that, mainland.

loved the great prices! where else can your dollar, properly used, go so far! loved your posadas, and meeting some of you even more...

now I want to back. I have made posts, contacted other members here, cant seem to find a reasonably priced way to book a flight there from here. air canada is about $1600 just to CCS, plus the connection, and flight to PMV. which I can only book once I arrive. and i have to spend alot of time waiting for my connection in CCS, not my favorite place, and thats if I can get a flight right away.

Flying using other airlines, with multiple connections in the US, such as Miami, to CCS are almost as expensive, plus the pain in the a** connections and wait times for the connections.

POS, a bit of a nicer spot to wait for a connection, also has direct flights every single night from YYZ Toronto for about $380 all in return. But I cant book a decent priced flight to PMV from there! It has to be from the island.

How about you offer your own 'all in'? even if its just from POS? POS is an easy and cheap flight for everyone, Europe, US and Canada. Just book the flight for your guests from Margarita. It can be done. then the costs aren't so outrageous, and it takes care of the aggravation of dealing with national airlines that we cant do so well.

If I have to pay $2000 and up per person, plus crazy transit times, it doesn't matter if everything on the island is free, its just too much to make it worth it. I just stayed in Turks&Caicos all costs in for a week for less. and that's supposed to be an expensive destination.

If you guys can get us decent priced flights from POS to the island, I would be happy to return. I just cant book them from this end. Believe me, I have tried. any takers?

Edited: 1:23 pm, January 18, 2014
5 replies to this topic
Margarita Island
Destination Expert
for Margarita Island
1. Re: calling all posada owners!

Michael, as a Canadian & owner of a posada I can sympathize with the problems of getting here.

First of all you can book internal (national flights) through Magic Tours here in Playa el Agua.

See more here:

www.islamargarita.com/magic-tours-english.htm

Ask them about the POS flight as well but as I now understand it only flights originating in Venezuela can be booked by foreigners.

There was a post a few months ago in the Margarita section from someone giving the name of a travel agent in POS who would handle the flights. I also believe that it;s Conviasa that have the POS / PMV route.

Here is a copy of an email I sent a Canadian customer a few weeks ago:

There are no direct flights this year but there are a number of options available.

Air Canada from Toronto to CCS & then the shuttle to Margarita.

Air Caribbean from Toronto to Trinidad & then CCS/Margarita.

My godson used this route last year.

This year we've booked an Air Caribbean flight to CCS / Trinidad / Ft. Lauderdale in May / June.

That route is more complicated but it was cheap.

Toronto to Miami on an early flight & then Avior to Barcelona / Margarita

Flight leaves Miami around 3 PM and you are in Margarita around 8.30 PM

We've used the Avior route many times.

You can call them direct in Miami at 305-470-2203

Hope this helps

Edited: 2:31 pm, January 18, 2014
Kitchener, Canada
2. Re: calling all posada owners!

thanks for your reply. most of the options you suggest I have already tried. its not that they dont work, but that the costs/time/hassle adds up for them. in particular the air canada yyz/ccs route and the toronto/miami/caracas route. they do work, but they are expensive. POS Trinidad is cheap to get to. and easy. trying to get to margarita from there is what I am trying to nail down, as I can get there for only $380 any day of the week. but getting the flight from there, due to the extreme dual exchange rates the cost can range to over $600!

I will try to hook up with magic tours. it seems that might be the local connection I am looking for to make this happen. I will make sure I post whatever I legally can in how to do this once I figure it out.

Edited: 4:01 pm, January 18, 2014
Willemstad, Curacao
reviews: 24
3. Re: calling all posada owners!

I will call Conviasa for you, They're the cheapest way to travel to POS but I do not know if you can book from POS to PMV. (40U$ round trip),I will in the next working day, I will let you know.

Hope it helps.

B.C.
4. Re: calling all posada owners!

Tried last year to book POSXPMV with Conviasa using Despegar. Took my booking but payment with U.S. credit card was not accepted. Just checked price on Despegar return $561.

You need a return ticket since only Venezuelan citizens and residents can buy tickets to foreign destinations with Bolivares. Others must pay in U.S.$ equivalent at official rate.

Kitchener, Canada
5. Re: calling all posada owners!

thanks doctor! yes, if I am able to purchase in bolivars, in margarita, the price drops dramatically. of course I cant do that from here. it cheaper even if I buy a return ticket to and from pos and only use the return portion to get there, then buy a one way for the route home once I arrive. esp withe the rate hitting 75 to 1. it could cost as little as $500 for the whole trip if this were possible!

Reply to: calling all posada owners!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Margarita Island
Recent Conversations