We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has anyone been there recently!!!

toronto
reviews: 2
Has anyone been there recently!!!

I'd like some advice about Margarita Island. Has anyone been there recently? What about the all inclusive hotels? Which hotel is better Costa Caribe or Dunes?

Margarita Island
Destination Expert
for Margarita Island
1. Re: Has anyone been there recently!!!

You can see reviews on Costa Caribe here:

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g316061-d483…

It's rated 3 out of 5 with the last review being in Sept. 2012

The reviews for Dunes are somewhat better:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g1077461-d31516…

If you have a choice choose Dunes.

An even better idea is instead of choosing an "all inclusive" hotel why not consider an "air only" ticket & stay at one of the many B&Bs (posadas) in Margarita. You will find them on the best beaches - Playa El Agua, Playa Parguito & Playa El Yaque.

You can see a list of some of them here:

http://www.islamargarita.com/islamargp3.htm

Have a great holiday in Margarita.

Hamilton, Canada
reviews: 2
2. Re: Has anyone been there recently!!!

Hi, we have been many times to MI - we love Playa El Agua - great beach, friendly people and "good taxi" rides to anywhere. Never been to the Dunes as it is not in walking distance to restaurants. Best to stay in Playa El Agua, either an all inconclusive or try a B&B like Play El Agua suggests. we really like LaFlamboyant Hotel, its all inclusive and is a smaller hotel and much more intamate . Enjoy your stay , we are going back for the 8th time this Christmas.

3. Re: Has anyone been there recently!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:42 am, November 21, 2012
B.C.
4. Re: Has anyone been there recently!!!

youtube video could be East L.A. emergency ward.

These victims, as horrific as their problems are, are Venezuelans involved in local problems in the barrios of Caracas. This is not representative of the risks that tourists are subject to.

Yes there are risks. Venezuela is not always an idyllic vacation site. Neither is it a violent crime monster certain to attack the careful tourist.

6 years in prison ? Innocent victim or convicted criminal? More details required.

The posts here run the gamut from scare mongers with warnings of fatal attacks to all who venture to Venezuela's beautiful shores, to self promoters who claim , despite evidence and personal experience to the contrary that the sun shines every day and all is safe for those who practice safe tourism. The truth of course lies somewhere between these extremes. Conditions continue to deteriorate. The same is true for most urban communities. Are there still great reasons to visit, yes sir.

Is it what it used to be? No. But neither is the clean safe Amsterdam or London I used to wander in the 1960's.

My history with and ties to la isla are stronger than the casual tourist. I am a home owner with a 20 year relationship. Yes I have increased security measures at my home. When on the island I still venture out at night to appropriate locations with appropriate friends both local and expatriate.

Isla de Margarita
reviews: 36
5. Re: Has anyone been there recently!!!

bugs m whats "grosa" mean in english? I have been speaking spanish for 40 years and don't know what it means nor can I find this word in my spanish/english dictionary or even on google.

Please explain because you got me on this one.

6. Re: Has anyone been there recently!!!

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:24 am, December 03, 2012
Hamilton, Canada
7. Re: Has anyone been there recently!!!

Hi Susi D. I'm seriously thinking about it for Feb. I like the option of staying in the downtown porlamar beach area for access to shopping, restaurants and night life, then taxi to Playa El Agua. Have an awesome time!

Hamilton, Canada
8. Re: Has anyone been there recently!!!

absolutely correct, gumache

Edited: 10:39 pm, December 02, 2012
9. Re: Has anyone been there recently!!!

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 4:19 am, December 16, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Margarita Island