We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Roads on Easter Island

Which Easter Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
UK
reviews: 2
Roads on Easter Island

We are planning to go to Easter Island this year but my wife is not a good traveller and suffers from travel sick a lot. She should be OK on the plane journey but often gets travel sick on rough road journeys. What are the roads like on EI? Could any one help please?

London, England
reviews: 1
1. Re: Roads on Easter Island

We drove around EI on a 20 seater mini-bus coach, and I must say that the roads were mostly good. There are not many main roads as its only a small island 20by 12k with 3 big volcanoes on it. The main roads to see the sites where in good condition, and because you are on and off the coach you are never more than 20 minutes drive from the next stop.

Some of the more backstreets in and around the only town can be a little bumpy, but the only time we went along these where to drop group memeners at their hotels, so again the distances and discomfort where short.

I am presuming you would join a share tour as opposed to hiring your own car. I never felt bumpted about or car sick in the mini-bus although I personally might have done in a car.

But please dont let the very occasional 2 minutes of bumpy road put you off.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Pigeon Forge
reviews: 16
2. Re: Roads on Easter Island

The one paved rode which leaves town and takes you across the island is relatively smooth for the fist couple miles but after that it is full of potholes which you will have to navigate through. The side roads to most sights are not paved and quite rough as they are made from small to medium rocks mixed with dirt. Plenty 'wash boards' if you know what I mean. Just go slow and you'll be fine

We drove a rental car for 2 days after a private tour.

Hobart, Australia
reviews: 95
3. Re: Roads on Easter Island

Just as gottgocit wrote...closer to town paved and further out bumpy but if you plan to hire a car you can stop as you please and can go nice and slow.

Canada
4. Re: Roads on Easter Island

Hi,

Well if a car is the problem, why not hire a horse.

Some people suffer from car sickness, partially due to the enclosure and inability to control the vehicle themselves. Therefore, a taxi will not be the way to go, although the bus may have a smoother ride (due to tire sizes), it can be chlosterphobic too.

Maybe the open air and a horse will be beneficial, that is if you enjoy that type of thing.

Another option would be a bicycle, if you are willing to pedal.

Roads are rough, to be honest, the town is all pavi-uni stone and it is hard on the tires (you will have a vibrating feeling). Outside of town the roads are all dirt, although not extremely bad, some spots get washed out with holes here and there.

I hope I have helped a bit.

fozziegirl@excite.com

5. Re: Roads on Easter Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:19 pm, August 28, 2009