We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Easter Island on a Budget

Canada
reviews: 72
Easter Island on a Budget

My husband and I are interested in visiting Easter Island, but we don't have a huge budget. Any suggestions for saving money?

rangiora
reviews: 6
1. Re: Easter Island on a Budget

We are doing the same. The camping ground looks like good budget accommodation. Renting a car looks like a cheaper option than paying for a tour. Buying the national park entry is cheaper at the airport apparently. You can always take your own dried food if you don't want to pay island prices.

Evansville, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Peru
reviews: 14
2. Re: Easter Island on a Budget

How much is your budget? The camping ground certainly is for budget-oriented people but don't seem too comfortable, esp. when it rains. I think they also rent some rooms with private bathroom for cheap; you could try those. Renting a car and bringing your own food (if flying from Santiago you can carry meat and veggies) make things easier. The cheapest rental cars in the island have manual transmission.

Edited: 10:49 pm, June 12, 2012
Canada
reviews: 72
3. Re: Easter Island on a Budget

I think we will try to fly to santiago first, so that would be good to bring our own food. I'll look into those rooms with the bathrooms too, since I heard it can get rainy when we'd be going (July or August).

I've been looking into flights and so far the prices are pretty crazy! We'll be flying from Toronto and I heard that LAN is the only airline that flies to Easter Island. Any ideas on where to get the cheapest flight deals for Toronto to Chile?

Thanks both for your great responses :)

The Chilean Central...
Destination Expert
for Chile
4. Re: Easter Island on a Budget

Yes, look to stay in a cabaña with a fully equipped kitchen and bring a traveling cooler or two to pack and transport your Santiago bought meats and veggies. You might have to spend the night before in Santiago if you plan to do this as there may not be enough time for grocery shopping if you arrive in the morning and leave hours later for Easter Island.

There is a vendor selling fresh caught seafood in the early morning in front of the market in Hanga Roa.

The best priced flights must be purchased on the Chile version of the LAN site if you can access it. If not, you can try a Chile-based travel agency.

maryland
5. Re: Easter Island on a Budget

Hi,

Lan is running a special to Easter Island from New York, San Francisco, Los Angeles and Miami for $1000.00 round trip including all taxes ( this is good). Their special is till June 18. You can try kayak.com to see the diffirent dates, or you can try lan.com to check date by date.

I am going Sep 30th with my wife, through Miami, Lima and easter island where we will spend 24 hours connection to see Lima, Peru at no additonal cost. If you have further questions please let me know.

Andrew

Edited: 10:27 am, June 14, 2012
San Francisco, CA
reviews: 39
6. Re: Easter Island on a Budget

Just a note that the special fare on LAN that Andrew mentions is still being offered, though slightly more expensive. I paid $1140 round trip SFO to Easter Island with a weeklong Lima stopover including all taxes for late November.

The LAN service from Easter Island appears timed to connect to US international flights through Lima.

7. Re: Easter Island on a Budget

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, August 31, 2013