We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

plane spotting on Maho Beach

Which Maho hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bristol Va
reviews: 2
plane spotting on Maho Beach

We are heading to St Martin in July 2013. One thing that I want to do there is go to Maho Beach and experience the low flying planes coming in to land. I had read that a few people were injured by jet blast(not seriously injured) from a plane taking off and that Princess Juliana Intl Airport was talking about implementing some kind of security to keep people out of the planes' flight path. I am just wondering if anyone has been there recently and if people can still stand on the beach and experience the low flying planes.

Also,if anyone has any tips on the best intimate beaches on the island for husband and wife would be appriciated. Thanks!!

26 replies to this topic
Regensburg, Germany
21. Re: plane spotting on Maho Beach

@sxmlover, that is the same applet http://www.ourstmaarten.com/airport/ uses, then at least the site I posted is more cosy... ;-)

Austin, Texas
reviews: 19
22. Re: plane spotting on Maho Beach

Which are the big planes? Should I just look for the "big" names like US Airways, American Airlines, etc?

Lexington, North...
reviews: 1
23. Re: plane spotting on Maho Beach

KLM flies in a 747, the biggest one of them all.

Regensburg, Germany
24. Re: plane spotting on Maho Beach

you should look for the transatlantics, so klm and airfrance, those are most of the time 747's

have fun!!!

Edited: 2:23 am, March 12, 2013
Long Island, NY
reviews: 24
25. Re: plane spotting on Maho Beach

You can safely watch landings and takeoff from the Sunset Beach Bar. They list on a chalk board the arrivals and take off schdules. They used to (not sue if they still do) a loud speaker of the control tower. pretty cool. Been going for 19 years and coming this April 22. Enjoy!

Bethany Beach, DE
reviews: 110
26. Re: plane spotting on Maho Beach

Unquestionably the highlight of a visit to this island and a 2-week small boat cruise among the Caribbeans. After spending 2-hours standing on a fine sandy beach, surrounded by gorgeous barely-attired bodies, on the runway centerline and just below numerous landings of all sorts of aircraft, this is stimulating stuff! I can't visualize doing this elsewhere- anywhere.

The takeoff were a sight to behold! Especially one where the pilot opted to take off toward the beach and finally lifted off almost within touching distance of the fenceline. Hair-raising, tostesterone building, and downright exciting! This is one busy airport with constant activities between executive jets, commuters, and large commercial aircraft. All one a single (short) runway.

I would return just to duplicate the crowd and excitement.

Reply to: plane spotting on Maho Beach
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted