We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Midges

Which Gairloch hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wigan, United...
Midges

Hi, we are planning to go to Gairloch in July and are wondering whether midges are likely to be a problem in this area at this time of year?

4 replies to this topic
Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
reviews: 212
1. Re: Midges

Yes, there will be midges. Worse in overgrown, boggy, sheltered areas. The main beaches in the area usually have enough of a breeze to keep then from being too harassing. Use Avon Skin So Soft or a branded midge repellent (everyone has their favourite) and long sleeves/trousers and you should be fine!

I grew up in Gairloch and the midges, whilst annoying, weren't too bad in Gairloch because of its coastal breezy location.

Enjoy your trip!

Abs :)

Wigan, United...
2. Re: Midges

Thanks for this Abs. Glad to hear the coastal breeze makes a difference, and thanks for the advice about clothing and Avon! Much appreciated :)

London, United...
reviews: 7
3. Re: Midges

You could also try taking Berocca - seems to work for me (I live in Melvaig) - apparently midgies don't like vitamin B. Midges are only really a problem here on *really* still days, of which there aren't many.

Wigan, United...
4. Re: Midges

Thanks, I will try that.

Reply to: Midges
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Gairloch
More Gairloch Topics