We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Obby Oss Day 2 May

Which Padstow hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Somerset,England
reviews: 6
Obby Oss Day 2 May

We are thinking of coming down to Padstow for Obby Oss day. I realise its extremeny busy and I assume it is not going to be easy to park a car in the town car park so whats the best option for getting into town.

Essex
reviews: 71
1. Re: Obby Oss Day 2 May

According to this website:

padstowlive.com/site/…car-parking

There is a park & ride on the entrance to town, by Tesco, that runs on Mayday, there is other parking information there too.

Chesterfield...
Destination Expert
for Bodmin
reviews: 44
2. Re: Obby Oss Day 2 May

I don´t know where you´ll be staying but there´s also the option of the foot ferry from Rock just across the estuary.

But however you get there, just remember that the town will be PACKED!!!

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Santa Ponsa
reviews: 78
3. Re: Obby Oss Day 2 May

As Sammys granny says, it will be packed, and it will also be very rowdy!

westmidlands
reviews: 7
4. Re: Obby Oss Day 2 May

I always go early in time for the blue oss at 10am and I go across from Rock on the ferry- follow the blue oss for a while,then come back and see the red oss come out and by then I've had enough and its time to catch the ferry back to Rock.

Somerset,England
reviews: 6
5. Re: Obby Oss Day 2 May

How easy is it to park at Rock?

westmidlands
6. Re: Obby Oss Day 2 May

There used to be a pay and display car park right at the end of the road in the sand dunes very close to the ferry. havent been there for a couple of years but I assume it is still there but not sure what the tariff would be now. best to get there early .

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
reviews: 212
7. Re: Obby Oss Day 2 May

there is only the one car park and very limited roadside parking. The car park gets full every day in Summer, and i would presume lots of people use the ferry on Obby Oss day so it would fill early.

Padstow, Cornwall
reviews: 13
8. Re: Obby Oss Day 2 May

My experience is that May Day in Padstow is very much a celebration for the locals and outsiders are not made to feel particularly welcome. Many Padstonians come home for the celebrations to meet up with family. Whilst the harbour and town are very pretty, everywhere is very busy and a lot of businesses close for the day. Drinking plays a large part in the day's activities.

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Santa Ponsa
reviews: 78
9. Re: Obby Oss Day 2 May

I agree Kernow99, it is very much a Padstow day, but I don't think people are particularly hostile, they just don't differentiate between who they throw in the harbour, and while the people of Padstow might expect a dunking, visitors might be a bit shocked!

Fareham, United...
10. Re: Obby Oss Day 2 May

I too argee with Kernow99, having just returned fron a 4 day visit. We were a party of 4 adults and wanted to join in the celebrations and tradition, but got told that we would offend people by our slightly offish receptionist in the hotel. Our experience was that it is very much a celebration for the locals and as outsiders we were not made to feel welcome. One pub we went into made a particular point of not serving us, despite the barmaid being told by a local we were next and not very busy at all. We walked out after she disappeared having asked evryone else if they needed another drink but us. Drinking seems to be the main activity, with a lot of drunken foul mouthed teenagers around. I am told that the day after May Day is a local day with lots of drinking also, but we did not stay around for that following our expereince of May Day. A great shame.