We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Large Building Project On The Eastern Side Of Town

Which Nerja hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Nerja
reviews: 26
The Large Building Project On The Eastern Side Of Town

I have now uploaded a number of photos, taken over the last week or so, of the large building site on the eastern side of town, previously mentioned in this forum. The site is right in-between the Hotel Nerja Club and the Hotel Los Arcos, on the right-hand side of the N -340, going towards Maro, opposite Capistrano Village.

(It may take a few days for these shots to appear on my TA.)

It has now been officially confirmed that the project is to be the site of a new Mercadonna supermarket, and that building completion is expected to be around Christmas-time, 2013.

So far, work has started at 08.00 sharp every day except Sundays, and it needs to be noted that in the summer months Spanish law allows building work in general to start at 07.00.

A break from work is taken during the afternoon, after which work resumes into the evening.

I have tried to provide photographs showing the location and work as completely and accurately as I possibly can, and as a result the shots are not in any particular chronological order.

The two hotels above are unfortunately very directly affected by their extremely close proximity to the site, as is the Turquesa Aparthotel complex, which is owned by the businessman who also owns/owned this plot of land.

The residential areas around the site are also being affected by the construction noise and associated dust etc. It is impossible to define this area accurately, as the degree of noise intrusion and other nuisances varies according to a number of factors, such as wind direction.

However, I can advise that close to the site the heavy-plant operation and general construction noise levels are very noticeable and intrusive.

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
reviews: 60
1. Re: The Large Building Project On The Eastern Side Of Town

Don't think I'd be booking into those hotels any time soon! Thanks for posting Jon.

Wilmslow, United...
reviews: 3
2. Re: The Large Building Project On The Eastern Side Of Town

I wonder if any of the tour operators or the hotel for that matter will be giving potential guests the heads up?

I'm assuming not!

Edited: 8:31 am, May 25, 2013
morecambe England
reviews: 1
3. Re: The Large Building Project On The Eastern Side Of Town

Excellent information for potential visitors to Nerja. Especially as it is well considered fact rather than opinion.

Thanks.

Nerja
4. Re: The Large Building Project On The Eastern Side Of Town

Thank you for the kind comments. I have tried to be as factual and accurate as possible regarding what could easily become a very emotive subject, due to the area and people numbers potentially affected by the building work.

I do feel very sorry for the owners and staff of the two hotels concerned. Through no fault of their own they are facing an unenviable situation during the next six months or so.

Last night we spoke to a couple who arrived on Friday, and who are staying at one of the affected venues. They had booked with one of the UK's larger and higher profile tour operators, and had NO prior notification of the work and associated problems from the company, prior to arriving at the hotel.

They are waiting for a definitive response on their request to be moved to alternative accommodation, but their rep. was 'not very hopeful' as of yesterday.

Nerja
5. Re: The Large Building Project On The Eastern Side Of Town

A quick update on this matter - the couple referred to in my previous posting did not succeed in getting moved to a different hotel, but were put in a room as far away from the building work as possible.

They are returning to the UK today, not very happy people at all, due wholly to the construction work noise, dust and general inconvenience having a very negative effect on their holiday.

They are taking the matter up with the tour operator concerned when they get back, having lodged a written complaint with both the operator's representative and the hotel management in Nerja, as soon as it became obvious that they were not going to be moved to a different location. (Their personal, albeit unsubstantiated, view on this was that such a move would have set too much of a precedent with other guests in the hotel, who would probably have required the same treatment.)

I emailed the tour company concerned on Monday, May 27, asking what advice was being given to their clients staying at either of these venues during the next six months. Not unexpectedly no reply has been received to date, and so a recorded, express delivery letter has been sent to both the company and the controlling group in the UK, asking the same question, and providing an email as well as a postal address for their reply.

My photos and a short video of work going on at the site have not yet been posted on TA. This is probably because of the amount of material submitted making it a case for an individual (human) review rather than an automated posting.

I will post any further updates on the forum, as and when they occur.

Dublin, Ireland
reviews: 6
6. Re: The Large Building Project On The Eastern Side Of Town

What wonderful investigative work has been done and continued to be done by Jon and will be of great value to people contemplating holidaying in those areas affected.

Well done

Hull
reviews: 44
7. Re: The Large Building Project On The Eastern Side Of Town

I have just booked the Nerja Club hotel. I'm now wondering what I should do. I actually rang the hotel before I booked and asked about the building work and was told it would be finished by the end of the week, obviously this is not true. Is the work so bad that I should consider not going ?

Derby, United...
reviews: 4
8. Re: The Large Building Project On The Eastern Side Of Town

We were staying (19th to 31st may) approx half way between this site, and the new burriana car park. We were lucky in that the buildings blocked off most of the noise from the mercadona site, but could tell things were moving apace down at the car park! (But not "on our doorstep", thankfully!

Anyhoo, during a conversation with some locals, re the car park, we were "informed" that once the groundwork was finished (any time soon.... the drainage is in and back-filled), work will cease for the summer months (I'm guessing June, July and August?) before recommencing.

I have no idea how true and/or accurate this is. Nor do I know whether there are similar plans for the mercadona site.

Just thought it worthy of a mention!

lincoln
reviews: 7
9. Re: The Large Building Project On The Eastern Side Of Town

I stayed at Los Arcos recently, yes construction work was in full swing, but it was not to intrusive, but only because I think it has only just began. The ground had been prepared for the piles???? and it got a little noisier each day. We were under the inpression that it was to be a new holiday apartment complex??? which is what I am sure it said on the Large Advertising Board??? something Marine or marina (something to do with water) if my memory is right. I love Nerja and this particular Hotel, hope to return next May, hopefully it will be finished by then? will have to keep checking I guess, hope it's not going to spoil the surroundings to much??? fingers crossed. mc x

Nerja
10. Re: The Large Building Project On The Eastern Side Of Town

The large site between the Los Arcos Hotel and the Nerja Club Hotel is definitely going to be a Mercadonna supermarket, and banners confirming this have gone up on the fencing surrounding the site.

The work here is scheduled to go on for the next six months or so, with no breaks, apart from on Sundays at the moment. Any talk of work finishing in a week or so on this site is a complete fabrication I am afraid.

A large area around the site was affected by an all day water supply failure on Friday, and the water is off again this morning. Added to this the dust and noise from the site is now a very big issue in the area.

This site should not be confused with the site of the new underground car park, which is on the left hand side of Calle Fillipinas, almost at the bottom of the hill, going towards Burriana beach.

Work here will be finishing sometime soon, just for the summer season though, but obviously much to the relief of anyone planning to stay in the Jose Cruz hotel, which overlooks the site, during the next few months.

The Marinas site is also on Fillipinas, on the right hand side about half way down to Burriana beach. It is a small residential development area that has been on and off for as long as we can remember.

New promoter boards were erected recently, fuelling some speculation that work here might be about to begin, but this has happened in the past and come to nothing.

In the present financial climate it is a very brave soul indeed who undertakes the building of any new homes at the moment. It has just been estimated (by the National Statistics Institute) that there were between two and three million unoccupied properties throughout the country in 2012.

This morning, the Spanish postal company, Correos, confirmed that the two registered letters (referred to in an earlier post, asking what information is being given to clients from the UK who are proposing to stay at either of the affected hotels,) are now in the UK, and are in the course of being delivered to the package holiday operator concerned, and the operator's controlling company.

Get answers to your questions about Nerja