We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport bus or train - it's a no brainer!

Which Nerja hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Nerja
reviews: 26
Airport bus or train - it's a no brainer!

Just got back from the UK, luckily missing the snow disruption by hours. I came out of arrivals at Malaga airport and a city centre bus was waiting at the stop so I went for it, instead of the train which I usually use. To my amazement I found that the fare into Malaga has gone up by a staggering 50%, from €2 to €3.

The single train fare is €1.70 and their frequency is every 20 minutes, at 14,34 and 54 minutes past, for an eight minute journey. The service is reliable, comfortable and runs on time.

The buses are unreliable, uncomfortable and their timetable is 'variable' to put it politely.The journey time can be anything from 25 minutes to whatever, depending on traffic conditions (and how many of the numerous traffic lights you hit on red.)

The bus fare hype really has made the choice a future no brainer for me.

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
reviews: 4
1. Re: Airport bus or train - it's a no brainer!

€3! That's outrageous for a journey of that length Jon! Presumably they think they can con people into thinking it's an efficient express service that's worth extra money when, as you say, it just gets caught in traffic jams.

Leeds U.K.
Destination Expert
for Costa del Sol
reviews: 24
2. Re: Airport bus or train - it's a no brainer!

When you can wheel your case onto the train (using disabled carriage), no lifting of the case that the bus incurs. Since the work on the Metro started 5 years ago, traffic disruption in the centre has increased.

Only down side as now the central Alameda station reopened you no longer arrive above ground at the Renfe station, those of us oldies have to use the lift to get to ground level.

Bus only went up to 2 euro's last year, not good another steep rise.

See from the Alsa site the direct airport bus to Nerja has been dropped, is this for the winter only, hoping to use in May.

Blackpool, United...
reviews: 2
3. Re: Airport bus or train - it's a no brainer!

Not a good move in the present climate!!??

It was still 2eu when I left in December. My friend used the train last week and recommended it.I will give it a try next time,

I have always got the bus with absolutely no problems (apart from the red lights!!) :-)

West Yorkshire
reviews: 7
4. Re: Airport bus or train - it's a no brainer!

I always used to use the bus, but last time, I got the train, when leaving Malaga. What an eye opener. It was quick, quiet, clean and cheap. So much easier - it'll be my preferred way of travelling between the city and airport, in future.

Haven't yet used it from the airport to Malaga, but I think that was only because I wasn't sure where it left from. Once I've negotiated it for the first time, I'll be happier!!

scotland
reviews: 118
5. Re: Airport bus or train - it's a no brainer!

€1 increase from the airport to Malaga, now that is a big jump

Is it only this route or is the increase across the board ?.

Or just another tourist tax !!

Leeds U.K.
Destination Expert
for Costa del Sol
reviews: 24
6. Re: Airport bus or train - it's a no brainer!

Jaybee; For the train at the airport, as you exit T3 instead of walking straight on for the bus, the train is to the left as you exit T3.

norfolk
reviews: 8
7. Re: Airport bus or train - it's a no brainer!

is it easy to find the right platform @ the malaga end as it seems to be quite a large station?.how about tickets,from a machine presumably?

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
reviews: 4
8. Re: Airport bus or train - it's a no brainer!

Very easy at Maria Zambrano - there are two platforms over at one side of the station seperate from the long distance ones. Plenty of touchscreen multi-lingual machines for tickets.

West Yorkshire
reviews: 7
9. Re: Airport bus or train - it's a no brainer!

Many thanks for that information, Ian.

Will definitely give it a go, next time!

(Roll on the next time.....watching the snow getting deeper and deeper, as I type!)

Belfast, United...
reviews: 1
10. Re: Airport bus or train - it's a no brainer!

i've never even considered the train, we usually always get the bus but i think we'll definitely look into it for our visit in sept. When you arrive in malaga by train is it far from the bus stop to Nerja?

Get answers to your questions about Nerja