We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coeliac - Help Required

Which Nerja hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Liverpool
reviews: 9
Coeliac - Help Required

Travelling to Nerja in July/August for our 5th time, on this occasion we have friends joining us.

One of our friends is coeliac, which basically means a Gluten & Wheat tollerance. In the UK we can get get various type of bread and even lager, is there any shops that will stock this.

I am hoping the large supermarkets will or there maybe some healthy food type shops.

Appreciated

Midlands
reviews: 1
1. Re: Coeliac - Help Required

Lee you will find a few things in Lidl-Carrefour-Mas & Mercadona if these stores are in Nerja.... but not the range that UK have..x

Liverpool
2. Re: Coeliac - Help Required

bread would be a plus

Thanks for the update

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
reviews: 4
3. Re: Coeliac - Help Required

I'd say that Mercadona is WAY ahead of anywhere in the UK, they are moving towards a default position of 'sin gluten' in as many products as possible and their range of suitable products (including bread) is vast by comparison - and without the rip-off prices either!

Blackpool, United...
reviews: 3
4. Re: Coeliac - Help Required

Iranzo in Nerja also stock Gluten free. I have seen bread and rolls etc in there.

My son is also wheat intolerant. I believe these beers are suitable., Green's Pioneer, Budweiser Budvar, Carling Black Label, Grolsch, Estrella Damm Daura and Heineken. There are also a couple of health shops here which should stock varios gluten free items.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Costa del Sol
5. Re: Coeliac - Help Required

My mother is a coeliac. As mentioned Mercadona features tons of products which are gluten free.

At restaurants, remember to say "soy celíaco, no puedo tomar nada que contenga harina de trigo".

Also remember that the oil used to fry chips and the like usually contains traces of wheat flour, so chips are not safe unless fried in a pan with new oil, and that most Spanish sauces contain flour as a thickener.

Liverpool
6. Re: Coeliac - Help Required

Thank you for your most helpful reply.

Liverpool
7. Re: Coeliac - Help Required

In the UK bars/pubs would look at you as if you had 2 heads if you asked for a wheat/gluten free beer.

How about Nerja bars

Blackpool, United...
reviews: 3
8. Re: Coeliac - Help Required

I would not expect your average Nerja bar man to be an expert in non gluten beers!!

If I were you,I would research some brand names that are safe. I believe that Budweiser and Estrella Dann Daura are made from barley?

What does he/she normally drink??

cordoba, spain
reviews: 17
9. Re: Coeliac - Help Required

Have a look here... hope it helps!!

http://www.celiacos.org/eng_gfs.php

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
10. Re: Coeliac - Help Required

Anything imported from Germany will be safe - Rheinheitsgebot means no wheat allowed.

Get answers to your questions about Nerja