We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to Askja

Which Myvatn hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Israel
reviews: 16
Trip to Askja

I wonder if you could tell me whether the following is a reasonable plan for one day:

Leave Egilsstadir in the morning to Askja, in a Jeep, by road 1 then roads 923 and F910 to Askja. Visit Oskjuvatn and Viti lakes, the Black Canyon (?) and a hidden fall (?). Then to Myvatn by F910 and F88.

Would appreciate your advice. Are these roads paved or gravel?

Thanks,

Ben

Vogar
1. Re: Trip to Askja

Route 1 is paved in the area you mention, 923 is gravel and the ones marked with "F" are tracks, not roads and can, in places, be very slow driving.

Israel
reviews: 16
2. Re: Trip to Askja

Thanks. Does the whole plan seem reasonable for 1 day?

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
reviews: 22
3. Re: Trip to Askja

This is usually done as a ,,one day tour". Black canyon ?? hidden fall ??

B-)

Delft, The...
4. Re: Trip to Askja

Drekagíl and the waterfall in it I suppose.

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
reviews: 22
5. Re: Trip to Askja

Yeah, me to, but to call it ,,black canyon" and ,,hidden fall" is something I´ve never heard before !

B-)

Salisbury, United...
reviews: 98
6. Re: Trip to Askja

What time of the year? Do remember there are rivers to cross, you need to know what you are doing. We did Myvatn to Askja return and it took 12 hours by coach. It's slow in parts. It's about a 40 min walk to the Viti crater.

Have a good trip

7. Re: Trip to Askja

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:20 am, August 19, 2013
Reykjahlid, Iceland
reviews: 38
8. Re: Trip to Askja

Wow,

Thanks Rebeca!

Thats a good review

9. Re: Trip to Askja

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:38 am, August 19, 2013
Northfield, New...
reviews: 1
10. Re: Trip to Askja

A good review in terrible english :)