We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spending three nights at Hlid in Myvatn

Which Myvatn hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
reviews: 14
Spending three nights at Hlid in Myvatn

Our family of 6 is staying three nights in Myvatn. We would like to take a guided tour and do exploring on our own. Ideas for actviities? (3 of us are over 50 and we are accompanied by 3 teenagers)

San Diego...
reviews: 6
1. Re: Spending three nights at Hlid in Myvatn

We stayed 3 nights in Myvatn in June. This is what we did and greatly enjoyed - all involved a fair amount of hiking.

(1) Námafjall - hike around boiling mudpots, fumaroles, sulphur, .... (2) Myvatn Nature baths - not as big as the Blue Lagoon but very nice after a hike, (3) Dimmuborgir - an area full of strange lava forms (4) the Bird Museum on the west side of Myvatn specifically to see the ball algae (5) the geothermal power station at Krafla, Stóra-Viti crater, Leirhnjúkur crater - steaming vents, mudpots, fissures, ...(6) also drove to Akureyri to do some rock climbing by the Munkaþverá river.

We did not go on any guided tours. We usually rely on the Lonely Planet books.

I could have stayed in the area much longer! There was daylight almost 24 hours - great. But the weather was extremely cold with wind and freezing rain (in June!)

Myvatn, Iceland
reviews: 11
2. Re: Spending three nights at Hlid in Myvatn

Contact Hike & bike for guided tours, she is really great. www.hikeandbike.is

Boston...
3. Re: Spending three nights at Hlid in Myvatn

Thanks so much.

New York City, New...
reviews: 5
4. Re: Spending three nights at Hlid in Myvatn

hello. I just was there and enjoyed it. Here's my glowing report: If you go to Lake Myvatn, it's best to hike and bike with a local! And there's a great shop just for that called "Hike and Bike" owned by a woman named Eyrún. Eyrún will rent you a bike or, if you're lucky, take you for a hike and/or bike tour. My wife and I did that and we won’t ever forget it. We explored the geology firsthand by crisscrossing the fissure between the North American and Eurasian tectonic plates, we waded in steaming hot springs, and we biked thorough the midnight sun high above lava fields and the shores of Lake Myvatn. Two words: intoxicating and inspiring! But what I loved about this tour (two tours actually: hiking started at 2 pm and biking at 8 pm) wasn’t the adventure and adrenalin-charge, but the tranquility and insight gained. I could easily see a young family doing perfectly fine on these trails and gravel roads. Eyrun will cover a gamut of options - from the history and lore of the elves who are said to inhabit the craggy lava rocks, to the geology of lava fields and tephra cones, to what to order at the local hotel’s fine restaurant (lamb shank or smoked char). This is a first-class tour operator in a small-town set in an exquisite, otherworldly part of the world. Visit www.hikeandbike.is or call her: tel.+354 899 4845

orlando
5. Re: Spending three nights at Hlid in Myvatn

That bike tour looks like a lot of fun! Wonder if they run in Oct/Nov?!

New York City, New...
reviews: 5
6. Re: Spending three nights at Hlid in Myvatn

My advice is to take a hike (2 pm) and/or a mountian bike ride (8 pm) with a tour operator called "Hike and Bike" - the 8 pm bike might now be earlier due to lack of sunlight. The hike focuses on fissures - cracks between the Eurasian and North American techtonic plates and concludes with a very wacky and fun lava formation which look like elves and gobblins (Dimmuborgir). Anyone, teenagers included, will enjoy this. The guide, Eyrun is great. Under the fissures are steaming hot springs in which you can bathe. Bike ride is good too, concluding with bath at Myvatn Natural Baths. Owner of Hike and Bike is Eyrún Björnsdóttir and her husband is manager of Myvatn Natural Baths. Her tel.+354 899 4845. Her website: www.hikeandbike.is. Tell her Jonathan from NY sent you. She's great. ALSO: I'd look at Kafla and drive to Dettifoss and Asbyrgi.

7. Re: Spending three nights at Hlid in Myvatn

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 pm, October 07, 2012