We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Southern California to Eurika Springs, AR

Which Eureka Springs hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vista, CA
reviews: 1
From Southern California to Eurika Springs, AR

Hello. We need to drive from San Diego to Eurika Springs to visit in-laws for the first time. We want to take it easy and stop on our way there or back. Can anybody let me know what we can see or visit? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Ward, AR
reviews: 10
1. Re: From Southern California to Eurika Springs, AR

just to clarify. are you wondering what there is to do in Eureka Springs, on the way from San Diego to Eureka, or both?

Vista, CA
2. Re: From Southern California to Eurika Springs, AR

I meant as we drive from San Diego to Arkansas is there anything worth stopping for and interesting to visit? I have never driven that direction before.

Vista, CA
3. Re: From Southern California to Eurika Springs, AR

I am sure my in-laws will show us Eureka Springs but you may suggest things to see there too.

Thanks

Ward, AR
4. Re: From Southern California to Eurika Springs, AR

As a personal preference, I'd probably do somewhat of a loop so I wouldn't see too much of the same interstate/scenery. Route for going out from San Diego: I-8 > I-10 > Hwy 70 > Hwy 54 > Hwy 180 > Hwy 285 > Hwy 70 > Hwy 60 > I-27 > I-40 at Amarillo. The following possibles are some I saw looking at the map and some I saw from roadtripusa.com/routes/…southernpacific.html Nice web-site, shows things to do from state to state along driving routes. Cabrillo National Monument at Point Loma. Did this last year on our trip to San Diego. Very nice views. Jacumba Desert View Tower. Algodones Dunes. In Felicity, Ca: The 25' tall Center of the World Pyramid. Picacho Peak. Saguaro National Park: Tucson Mountain and Rincon Mountains. Tombstone. White Sands National Monument - www.nps.gov/whsa . Guadalupe Mtns Nat Park. Carlsbad Caverns. Roswell, NM - UFO Central. Quite a few things to do at Amarillo. www.legendsofamerica.com/TX-Amarillo3.html

For the route back I-40 with stops along way, cut off in CA to Hwy 95, then Hwy 62 or I-10 depending on which side of Joshua Tree National Park would be more interesting, then on to San Diego. At Albuquerque, NM: Sandia Peak Tramway, Old Town Albuquerque ( www.oldtownalbuquerque.com ), Rio Grande Botanic Garden. 35 miles east of Flagstaff, AZ is www.meteorcrater.com . Very interesting place, as I remember. Sidetrip north of Flagstaff to Sunset Crater Volcano - www.nps.gov/sucr/index.htm . Thought that was nice view. And of course, the amazing Grand Canyon.

Few web-sites I've liked while researching longer trips:

www.roadsideamerica.com

www.roadtripusa.com

www.roadtripamerica.com

www.outside.away.com

www.vacation.away.com

www.family-vacation-getaways.com

Ward, AR
5. Re: From Southern California to Eurika Springs, AR

If you are interested in animals, you could cut off in eastern Oklahoma (at Sallisaw) to Hwy 59 north into AR on 412 then continue north on 59 to Gentry to see www.wildwildernessdrivethroughsafari.com . Then work your way east from there with a stop at War Eagle Mill. www.wareaglemill.com

Things to do around Eureka Springs:

www.thegreatpassionplay.com

www.pinemountainjamboree.com

www.turpentinecreek.org exotic cats wildlife refuge

The 7 stories tall Christ of the Ozarks and a 10' by 10' section of the Berlin Wall are both located on the grounds of the Passion Play.

www.thorncrown.com beautiful glass chapel in the woods

www.belleoftheozarks.com

www.cosmiccavern.com

www.eurekagardens.com

www.keelscreek.com local winery

www.crescent-hotel.com/ghosts/ghosttours.htm - ghost tours at both Basin Park and Crescent hotels.

exploresouthernhistory.com/AREureka6.html - Hike around Pivot Rock and Natural Bridge

Web-sites for Eureka are www.eurekasprings.org and www.eurekasprings.com

General web-site for Arkansas travel is www.arkansas.com

Vista, CA
6. Re: From Southern California to Eurika Springs, AR

Thanks alott. Wow, great info.

Vista, CA
7. Re: From Southern California to Eurika Springs, AR

Wow, great info. Thank you.

Arkansas
8. Re: From Southern California to Eurika Springs, AR

Another website to check out for things to do in Eureka Springs is isurfeurekasprings.com Articles, travel information, news, attractions, shopping, prizes, and much more.

Vista, CA
9. Re: From Southern California to Eurika Springs, AR

Thank you for the info. I appreciate it. All the very best.

10. Re: From Southern California to Eurika Springs, AR

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 pm, October 21, 2009