We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Unbelievable Accommodations

Which Santa Catarina Palopo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Portland, Oregon
reviews: 4
Unbelievable Accommodations

Just got back from a wonderful trip to Lake Atitlan and Antigua. I was fortunate enough to be in touch with a young man from the United States who owns a beautiful home in Santa Catarina Palopo that he offers as a vacation rental. It is perched about 300 feet above the Lake with the most amazing views. His name is David Yates and his website is www.lacasacolibri.com. He also manages his neighbor's property which is also a beautiful home with the same incredible views. David has lived in Guatemala for years and is so helpful with all your travel questions and needs. He arranged transportation fro Guatemala City for us, recommended great restaurants, private boat trips, etc. Our trip would not have been as wonderful without all of his valuable advice. He even took us to the grocery store when we arrived! I wish there was a place on tripadvisor to rate La Casa Colibri - it would get 5 stars easily!

9 replies to this topic
Panajachel...
reviews: 10
1. Re: Unbelievable Accommodations

And he has a wood-burning pizza oven!

Portland, Oregon
2. Re: Unbelievable Accommodations

that he does!

Jurong, Singapore
reviews: 8
3. Re: Unbelievable Accommodations

I love this property. I got online to review a hotel and came across this string about the home we stayed in last year. I really loved my stay at this impressive villa last year. This time the property was rented out and I ended up staying at a local hotel.

I enjoyed the hotel because it was only two of us. La Casa Colibri was amazing. I loved the pool, the fireplaces, the wood burning pizza oven, the open spaces, the ping pong table, the soccer table, and the sauna. I couldn't believe that the home had a sauna.

My only complaint, or issue, were the number of stairs up and down. Then I realized that if you live on the side of a mountain there will always be steps.

I remember David, Angela, but can't remember the nice houseman and his assistant. The entire staff was incredible. And David made the stay fantastic. I felt like I was staying at a luxury resort and not a private home.

Back to David. He is a gentleman and an angel to visitors like us. He made us feel right at home.

Now than I've taking time to type this long comment, I wish I could stay again. Perhaps another time.

Edited: 10:07 pm, May 08, 2011
Jurong, Singapore
4. Re: Unbelievable Accommodations

Oh yes, what does La Casa Colibri mean in Spanish?

nyc
reviews: 11
5. Re: Unbelievable Accommodations

The colibri is a singing bird in Guatemala

Edited: 10:21 pm, May 08, 2011
Seattle, Washington
6. Re: Unbelievable Accommodations

Actually, "colibri" means "hummingbird" in Spanish. It also translates as "tzunun" in Kaqchikel and Tz'utujil, and possiby in Quiche as well.

Jurong, Singapore
7. Re: Unbelievable Accommodations

Thank you. Hummingbird is right!

Well, I loved the Hummingbird house and really was impressed by David.

San Diego...
reviews: 11
8. Re: Unbelievable Accommodations

How much $ per nt?

Lake Atitlan
Destination Expert
for Lake Atitlan
reviews: 138
9. Re: Unbelievable Accommodations

I was in the upper house last night visiting friends. It is the smaller of the two, but accommodated 7 people ( all family). I hate to quote prices on other peoples properties, but I think they paid $300 per night for the upper and smaller house.

Reply to: Unbelievable Accommodations
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Santa Catarina Palopo