We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Patan Worth a visit?

Which Patan (Lalitpur) hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
Is Patan Worth a visit?

Someone had asked earlier if Patan was worth a visit..

Definitely, it is. In fact many these days opt to stay in the Patan area at the excellent hotels and Inns, and do the reverse (i.e. visit Kathmandu and Bhaktapur) from here. The Patan area is much better in terms of environment and space. This makes for a less crowded experience for visitors. It is only a 5 minute car ride across the Bagmati bridge to Kathmandu in any case.

The Patan Durbar square is a living museum and is extremely well maintained, and can be covered in a couple of hours. The alley ways around the square have numerous interesting shops.

Edited: 9:30 pm, September 17, 2013
7 replies to this topic
Beijing, China
reviews: 11
1. Re: Is Patan Worth a visit?

Patan is worth a visit alone because it is not very far to get to from Thamel, where a lot of people stay. It's a cool place to wander around for half a day, so definitely worth it.

Surrey.
2. Re: Is Patan Worth a visit?

I would also say definitely yes. We walked there and back from Thamel the 2nd time I went - we followed some "back" routes on our return to avoid the traffic.

Byron Bay, Australia
reviews: 33
3. Re: Is Patan Worth a visit?

Definitely and Bakhtapur, too. Both are ancient - 250 B.C. for Patan Durbar square. Yet they are living, thriving communities with an unbroken link to the past that is very rare. As a world heritage site it wild be good to see some restriction on the ubiquitous motor bikes .

Edited: 7:50 am, October 03, 2013
Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Annapurna Region
reviews: 85
4. Re: Is Patan Worth a visit?

It certainly has a more Nepalese feel than pseudo-Western, tourist obsessed Thamel

Surrey.
5. Re: Is Patan Worth a visit?

Excellent point in post 3 above re living cities that keep a strong link to the past. Hopefully this happy balance will be maintained. As Alan says, modern Thamel has evolved pretty much purely for the tourists (such as me), but without much or any happy balance.

Patan (Lalitpur...
reviews: 5
6. Re: Is Patan Worth a visit?

It's worth more than a visit. Opt to stay in Patan and visit Kathmandu from here instead!

reviews: 1
7. Re: Is Patan Worth a visit?

Patan is the oldest city in valley.

I would like to request you to stay there in patan.Its better than thamel to mix up with the people.

Thamel is for bag packers and for shopping too. Visit thamel and stay in patan.

Reply to: Is Patan Worth a visit?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Patan (Lalitpur)
Recent Conversations