We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flagstaff to Willilams hotel

Which Williams hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Frederick, Maryland
Flagstaff to Willilams hotel

We are flying into flagstaff and leaving from a Williams hotel on a train tour the next morning. How do I get from Airport to williams hotel? Public shuttle, hotel shuttle, car rental, etc????

Tucson, Arizona
reviews: 6
1. Re: Flagstaff to Willilams hotel

I would say cancel the train tour, rent a car, and drive yourself to the Grand Canyon.

You do realize you do not see the Grand Canyon from the train, right?

Frederick, Maryland
2. Re: Flagstaff to Willilams hotel

thanks but I am told the train also has activities on the train along with a guide explaining what to look for and see... and if we upgrade we can get a glass dome enclosure where we can see all the way around for pictures. It also stops at the rims where I believe I would head for anyway. I'm assuming by your response there is no option but to rent a car from the airport.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
reviews: 118
3. Re: Flagstaff to Willilams hotel

Car rental is your best option from the airport. I'll agree with Mike. You are being subjected to aggressive and deceptive marketing by the GCRR. The views you'll have from the trail will be the same boring high desert views that you'll get from the car, except the trail will take 3 hours where as your car will only take an hour. That's time that you could better spend at the GCNP on the rim, exeriencing the canyon.

The train arrives on the back side of the hotel complex. You won't see the canyon until after you climb the steps through the hotels and walk out to the rim path with the crowd. I can't think of a worse way to get introduced to the Grand Canyon. Not to mention the expense.

Activities? If being a victim of a staged train robbery is your idea of activity, then you'll be thrilled. But you could be at the Grand Canyon by the time that happens if you choose to drive. No comparison, activity wise. Upgrade to the domed glass car? That way you'll be able to look down at the prairie grass instead of looking out at it.

Frederick, Maryland
4. Re: Flagstaff to Willilams hotel

better explanation ...thanks

Frederick, Maryland
5. Re: Flagstaff to Willilams hotel

How about a bus tour

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
reviews: 118
6. Re: Flagstaff to Willilams hotel

Self tour the Grand Canyon NP. It's easy.

http://www.nps.gov/grca/index.htm

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
reviews: 57
7. Re: Flagstaff to Willilams hotel

From your original question, there is a 3X day shuttle from Flagstaff to Williams. Some runs include the airport.

arizonashuttle.com

Otherwise, taxi.

Either the train tour or a bus tour gives you about 3 hours at the canyon. Combined with the train tour, you can make arrangements for overnight stay in the park which would give you more time to explore the canyon. The train does not stop at the "rims" in the sense that it allows you to see the canyon.

After traveling from Maryland, why would you want to limit yourself to a very short visit at GNP? It can't be seen in 3 hours. The best way to see it is to rent a car and do your own tour, and stay overnight if possible. Extending your current plans, second best would be to arrange overnight in the park as part of the train tour.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
reviews: 33
8. Re: Flagstaff to Willilams hotel

There are tours inside Grand Canyon NP. You can drive there so you can have the luxury of spending more time at the canyon and then take a bus tour. Also there are walking tours and ranger talks that might give you more in depth information.

nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/guidedtours.htm

nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/ranger-program.htm

Santa Fe, New Mexico
9. Re: Flagstaff to Willilams hotel

Where are you flying to Flagstaff from ? You may wish to forgo the expense& transfer by driving from Las Vegas or Phoenix... carracar

Wickenburg, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Wickenburg
reviews: 479
10. Re: Flagstaff to Willilams hotel

Very bestest option by a coupla good ole country miles: drive yourself and really see the canyon at your own leisure - and listen to the rangers. Millions do it every year and are over-wowed. Dyed-in-the-wool railroad&train aficionados get a kick of riding the rails - otherwise it'sn not the waste of time and money. - not to mention the missed opportunities you'd have had doing this under your own steam - pardon the pun ... even thuogh the old steam locomotive only comes out of its mothballs on special occasions.

The stages train robbery is just symbolic of what they've already done to your wallet at the booking office.

You should really consider spending a night at the GC - preferably at a rim lodge. Those would need to be booked ASAP as vacancies at the rim lodges are at a premium for most of the year and get booked very well in advance especially for peak season – which is much of the year.

For the in-park hotels, visit www.grandcanyonlodges.com or call 888-297-2757.

Failing that you can get lodging right outside the south gate (main entrance to the park) in Tusayan, about ten minutes' drive from the rim.

When you enter the canyon (25$ per car, valid for a week) you'll be given the current park newspaper which will give you all the information to get the most out of your GC experience.