We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Saguaro Cacti

Which Wickenburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Copenhagen, Denmark
reviews: 21
Saguaro Cacti

Hi

Me and my girlfriend will be in Arizona in July this year, and we really want to see the famous Saguaro Cacti.

We will be driving from Sedona to Palms Springs via Jerome and Prescott on the 89, which will, more or less, pass by Wickenburg.

I have read various places that there are Saguaro in Wickenburg, but my question is if they are "all over " the place, or only a few select areas? (or if, God forbid, the Internet has lied to me, and they are no where near the place)

I know that if we took the 17 from Sedona down to Phoenix, that we would see loads of them, but the 89 just seems like a more interesting route, so if we could also see them on that route, that would be optimal.

thanks in advance, for any info

16 replies to this topic
Copenhagen, Denmark
11. Re: Saguaro Cacti

Just one more question, Esty.

Is the trail to the Vulture Peak clearly signposted?

I'll be sure to watch out for the Jumping Cholla :)

Wickenburg, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Wickenburg
reviews: 591
12. Re: Saguaro Cacti

Well, the beginning of the trail is clearly marked, and then there is just the one trail really, and at any 'tricky' spot, where you migt miss itm there are cairns, so look out for those. On the upper half it's impossible to go wrong, if you go that far.

Copenhagen, Denmark
13. Re: Saguaro Cacti

Great, thanks!

Phoenix, Arizona
reviews: 27
14. Re: Saguaro Cacti

Your route from Sedona through Jerome and Prescott to Wickenburg is perfect. You will see plenty of what you are looking for and much more. You will probably regret not scheduling at least one night in Wickenburg to be able to take it all in. It easily has as much to see and do as Sedona. After Wickenburg, I suggest you take the old Route 60 west instead of just heading south to the I-10. You will see plenty more and different cactus and even "balancing rocks." If you take this route, stop in at Salome and look at the old timey cafe, the tin ceiling and at least have a piece of pie and a good cup of coffee!

Phoenix, Arizona
reviews: 27
15. Re: Saguaro Cacti

Also, please,please, please...do NOT get too close to the Saguaros. You can easily get a nice photo of you standing by one without getting too close. They have very shallow and narrow root systems and stomping around them can weaken them and might even cause one of the 500 year old giants to fall over in the next wind storm.

Copenhagen, Denmark
16. Re: Saguaro Cacti

Thanks Donbacsi

If we have the time then we will take route 60.

We will be sure not to get too close to the saguaros

Reply to: Saguaro Cacti
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted