We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Route: Las Vegas to WIckenburg to Sedona (rental car)

Which Wickenburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, Australia
Route: Las Vegas to WIckenburg to Sedona (rental car)

Travelling April 15 from Las Vegas to Wickenburg. On to Sedona April 16 until April 19. Alas, we are in a hired/rental car so have to stick to paved roads. Any suggestions in regards to an interesting route to take and or interesting stops along the way to break the trip up. Hoover Dam is a given so we will be doing that.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
reviews: 57
1. Re: Route: Las Vegas to WIckenburg to Sedona (rental car)

Why are you going to Wickenburg? Hwy 93 from Kingman is not very interesting. The roads that you would travel are all paved.

From Wickenburg, you could travel Hwy 93 NW to Hwy 89 to Prescott and then Hwy 89A through Jerome to Sedona. This will involve some stretches of mountain driving, but scenic.

Another route would be Hwy 60 SE to Hwy 24 (goes to Cave Creek) to I-17 and north. Also scenic but 4 lane freeway after getting to I-17.

Wickenburg, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Wickenburg
reviews: 479
2. Re: Route: Las Vegas to WIckenburg to Sedona (rental car)

<Another route would be Hwy 60 SE to Hwy 24 (goes to Cave Creek) to I-17 and north. Also scenic but 4 lane freeway after getting to I-17.>

That's hwy 74, not 24.

In any case I would use the other route, hwy 89 north through Prescott, then 89A via Jerome that's incredibly scenic.

A longer, but more interesting way to get from Vegas to Wickenburg would be to take historic Route66 from Kingman to Seligman - stop at the Hackberry General Store, Peach Springs and Seligman, then proceed east on I-40 to Ash Fork and then head straight down 89 to Prescott and Wickenburg. Ash Fork Wickenburg is 2 hrs without any delays or stops.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 42
3. Re: Route: Las Vegas to WIckenburg to Sedona (rental car)

Us93 is not that bad. It's a desert drive and south from I40 it gets you through

places with Saguaros and Joshua Trees. There are long term roadworks though that can slow you down. Other than Hoover Dam and the new Colorado River Bridge you can stop in Kingman and visit the museums there. There's a visitor center along Andy Devine (R66) that's also a museum. Maybe have a drink and/or something to eat at Mr. D'z across the street from the visitor center.

Tet

Phoenix, Arizona
reviews: 27
4. Re: Route: Las Vegas to WIckenburg to Sedona (rental car)

Asking "Why go to Wickenburg" is like asking "Why go to Sedona". Anyone who has been in Arizona or even on this forum for any length of time should know that there is just as much to see, do and eat in Wickenburg as Sedona. They are just different types of experiences and people. To each his own.

The drive down 93 is no more boring than the often recommended freeway drives into California. From Wickenburg you most definately should take the first route through Prescott and Jerome...two great old towns. The second route will take you far out of your way and makes little sense as it will not give as good scenery and you will miss the interesting stops.

tucson az
Destination Expert
5. Re: Route: Las Vegas to WIckenburg to Sedona (rental car)

I asked the OP "Why... Wickenberg," because foreign visitors often choose places without knowing enough about them. I offered a choice of routes because people used to driving where there are no mountains may be intimidated by winding mountain roads. The second route takes the same amount of time. The first route is far more scenic which was noted.

Wickenberg is interesting, but I could not agree at all that it has as much to "see, do and eat as Sedona" and the Verde Valley nearby.

Let's stick to offering good advice to people inquiring, and please stop criticizing the advice of others. It is sufficient to present your own advice in a courteous and friendly manner.

I have lived in Arizona for 35 years, visited often before that, and have been to nearly every corner of it.

Phoenix, Arizona
reviews: 27
6. Re: Route: Las Vegas to WIckenburg to Sedona (rental car)

I've never seen it asked, "Why are you going to Sedona?" Even when there is no reference to Sedona of even anything that remotely resembles what it has to offer, someone will always jump in with a way/reason to go there. NEVER any place else. For all you know the OP might have to go to a funeral in Wickenburg. It's none of your business, and it was obviously just an opening shot to talk them out of going there. There was nothing rude about my post. I was merely trying to answer the OP question...NOT question the OP.

As far as the routes: There is a consistancy in certain posters recommendations...always to take the freeways...even when the OP asks for out of the way places and scenery. Frankly, the I_17 has just as many mountain climbs as the 89. and you will see many more dead cars at the side of the road on it.

You don't agree with my opinion about Wickenburg as opposed to Sedona. I am willing to bet you'd surprised at how many here agree with me. I agree foriegn visitors can wind up in a place without knowing enough about it. I have seen many OP's who have expressed no interest in hiking being told they"must" spend 3-4-5 days in Sedona or they "will regret it." Fair open advice, unbiased with just one locale in this beautiful state to the exclusion of all others would be a breath of freash air.

As you know I've lived here 2 decades more than you, my family has 5 generations here, and I sure don't think I know everything about this state. I don't make comments about things I don't know about or haven't experienced, unlike some others.

7. Re: Route: Las Vegas to WIckenburg to Sedona (rental car)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 5:47 pm, March 18, 2012
tucson az
Destination Expert
8. Re: Route: Las Vegas to WIckenburg to Sedona (rental car)

I was not offering unfair biased advice about any one location, and generally do not. Asking about Wickenberg was not "obviously" intended to talk the OP out of going there. It seemed odd to want to go to Wickenberg, and not know what to expect between there and Sedona. I would personally choose to drive through the mountains, however the OP may not want to drive on mountainous roads.

Your opinion is not more valuable than that of others. I would ask again a reasonable request, please stick to offering good advice to people inquiring, and please stop criticizing the advice of others.

Perth, Australia
9. Re: Route: Las Vegas to WIckenburg to Sedona (rental car)

Hi everyone, Thank you for taking the time and effort to respond to my question. All responses have been most helpful in researching by best alternatives.

Perth, Australia
10. Re: Route: Las Vegas to WIckenburg to Sedona (rental car)

Hi Esty666

We do have to stop in Wickenburg as I have booked accommodation.

Our entire trip route is a big loop

Arrive in Las Vegas and rent a car after a couple of days and make our way to Wickenburg. (We no doubt will still be struggling with some jet lag coming in from Aus, and it will be our first attempt to drive on the right hand side of the road, so we wanted to take it easy).

We then form a big loop and go on to Sedona, Page/Lake Powell, Kayenta/MV, Durango, Moab, Capitol Reef, Bryce Canyon, Zion, back to Las Vegas (Drop off Car) Fly to San Fransisco.

In your response you say,

"A longer, but more interesting way to get from Vegas to Wickenburg would be to take historic Route66 from Kingman to Seligman - stop at the Hackberry General Store, Peach Springs and Seligman, then proceed east on I-40 to Ash Fork and then head straight down 89 to Prescott and Wickenburg. Ash Fork Wickenburg is 2 hrs without any delays or stops".

How long would this realistically take? Without stops mapquest calculates it to be approximately 5 hrs 51 mins / 314.25 miles would this be accurate enough?.