We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drake Bay in August

Which Drake Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Amsterdam
Drake Bay in August

Hi!! We are travelling to CR at the end of August. We will be driving a 4 WD and would like to come to Drake Bay for a bit of marine wildlife watching and visiting the Corcovado NP. Can anyone let us know about accesibility and weather conditions at this time of the year? Our guide books contradict each other in terms of what the area is like at this time of the year... We have two options for accomodation: Punta Marenco and Suital Lodge. Any tips on those?

Los Angeles...
reviews: 20
1. Re: Drake Bay in August

Hi!

I wondered if you had learned any more about Punta Marenco and Suital Lodge.

We just returned from the Puerto Jimenz / Matapalo area (great trip!!) and I am planning our trip back. Before we went I had corresponded with the owner of Suital and hoped that we might make it up there to say hi and check things out, since we had already booked our lodging. We did not get a chance to get up there but they were very nice by email and I would like to go there on our return.

I would love to hear about what you are planning for your trip.

San Jose, Costa Rica
2. Re: Drake Bay in August

The road from Sierpe to Drake bay in August is really bad...not matter if you are driving a 4x4...it is bad road!! I will avoid it or get ready to spend some big time pushing the car around huge piles of mud...or spending the night in middle of nowhere!

The best is drive to Sierpe and take the boat to Drake bay!!

R.A Luis

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in paradise!!

Oakland, CA
reviews: 7
3. Re: Drake Bay in August

We went to Suital Lodge in early May and wished we had more than a day and 2 nights there. It's a rustic lodge with 3 cabins, its own beach and hiking trails through varied habitats. Helen and Carlos are dedicated to sustainable living with the wildlife in their spectacular spot and have put some great design ideas into use. We saw chestnut mandible toucans, fiery billed aracaris and much, much more - some of them right from our cabin porch. Helen is a fine cook and bakes her own delicious hefty bread (with flax seeds and oatmeal). Their 7 year old daughter is delightful, and people with children would find a lot to do right on the premises.

Some people might find Suital Lodge closer to nature than they really like, but we thought it was great.

Sacramento, CA
reviews: 6
4. Re: Drake Bay in August

I have reservations for Suital Lodge for a night in August. Can you tell me how long it takes to get there by 4x4 from the Interamerican Highway?

Oakland, CA
reviews: 7
5. Re: Drake Bay in August

We weren't driving as such. We flew into Puerto Jimenez and a driver took us from there to Suital. It took at least an hour from PR; road conditions are uneven, to put it mildly. We really enjoyed hanging around at Suital before our long muddy march into Sirena Station. The gulf and forest are gorgeous.

6. Re: Drake Bay in August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:19 pm, September 05, 2009