We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How "treacherous" is the boat trip from Sierpe to Drake Bay?

Which Drake Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Waterloo, Ontario...
reviews: 44
How "treacherous" is the boat trip from Sierpe to Drake Bay?

My husband and I are considering travelling to Drake Bay from Sierpe by boat, where we will stay for 3 nights. The boat trip is described to be "difficult" sometimes. I am not afraid of *anything* except (yes, you guessed it) boats in rough water. On a scale of 1 - 10 (where 1 is "continuous small waves" and 10 is "you think the boat is tipping over and you will die") could you please tell me whether the boat is an option for me?

Many thanks,

Susan

15 replies to this topic
Tennessee
reviews: 21
11. Re: How "treacherous" is the boat trip from Sierpe to Drake Bay?

I had my 5 year old son and my wife and other with me and my son was laughing the entire time. It was rough. But it was NOT unsafe. Boating through waves. Happens all the time all over the world, including here in the US.

I have been in alot of boats with alot of different captains, and none were better than the guys in CR. I was amazed at how they did their beach landings in rough waves. Absolutely surgeon like.

But if your not up for adventure...then don't go to Osa.

Riverside, CA
reviews: 5
12. Re: How "treacherous" is the boat trip from Sierpe to Drake Bay?

My husband and I just returned from Drake Bay. We are boat owners in U.S. and spend much time on rivers and ocean. It was rough entry into the Pacific, however the skipper was able to take smooth routes through the waves. I was fine until I looked forward and saw the large waves. As long as I covered my eyes,I was okay. The Ticos on board laughed at me and told me everything was fine! The "wet landing" at our hotel was pretty rough with the back of the boat being tossed as we were helped off. We are 55 years and 60 years old. My husband has a bad hip and everything went smoothly.I would recommend the trip for sure! I would say the waves were breaking 2-3 feet on beach and I felt bad for the guys trying to hold the boat in the waves as we got off and the carried our luggage over their heads.

london
reviews: 50
13. Re: How "treacherous" is the boat trip from Sierpe to Drake Bay?

Its ok if

a: you believe in after life

b; you have nerves of steel

c: you believe that the Cap'n has done this so often he has either great skill and/or a+b.

The river is a doddle. The sea is fine, its the bit inbetween.

sierpe de osa
reviews: 1
14. Re: How "treacherous" is the boat trip from Sierpe to Drake Bay?

I have a pretty good idea as my house overlooks the boca and I live in Sierpe. Problems are very rare and due primarily to inexperienced boat captains. I have driven my boat through the boca 100's of times with out incident. I let my 14 year old captain most of the time as it is most often very easy. Boats are required to have life jackets and it is a good idea to wear one through the boca every time. The word treacherous does not fit the situation. Adventurous does some times but far less than half the time. Going in is easier as opposed to one comment about it being more dangerous. There is a great place to stay just inside the boca but still on the ocean if you have fears of the boca.

Hoofddorp, The...
reviews: 10
15. Re: How "treacherous" is the boat trip from Sierpe to Drake Bay?

we took the the boat last may, i have to say that it was pretty amazing, there were some bumpy moments as you are out of the mangroves into the open sea, but still a great feeling, rain came so hard on us , was so crazy but its something to remember for life, in the boat with us there was a family with kids and they seem to be pretty ok...

this is the video with took in the boat during our crazy ride, check it out for yourself and enjoy paradise or as i call it the LOST WORLD : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGVHvCug8GY

Reply to: How "treacherous" is the boat trip from Sierpe to Drake Bay?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted