We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

La Paloma or Finca Maresia for wildlife.

Which Drake Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago
reviews: 54
La Paloma or Finca Maresia for wildlife.

I don't care about luxury or the beach(unless wildlife on them). For wildlife only(sloths, Macaws and white face monkey) which lodge give me the best chance to see La Paloma or Finca Maresia.

Thanks, Bob

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
reviews: 85
1. Re: La Paloma or Finca Maresia for wildlife.

You will not see many animals at Finca Maresia. It is a fenced off former farm surrounded by other agricultural plots. You can hear howler monkeys from your room-- I think the monkeys hang out short distance away on the path to the beach.

It's a lovely place and a fantastic bargain, and we highly recommend it. But it's best paired with a trip or stay at Sirena station inside Corcovado if seeing critters is a priority.

Santa Cruz
reviews: 1
2. Re: La Paloma or Finca Maresia for wildlife.

I agree with Racandee, Finca Maresia is a lovely hotel, but you will most likely see more wildlife at La Paloma. However, you will see even more wildlife on a Sirena tour so you can choose either hotel and see the same amount of wildlife!

Chicago
3. Re: La Paloma or Finca Maresia for wildlife.

Thanks again for the advice, I am going to Sirena, but I hear Sloths and White face monkey's are difficult to see there and La Paloma would have better chance. FM seems nice and more my budget but I would love to see a Three toed sloth.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
4. Re: La Paloma or Finca Maresia for wildlife.

We saw a sloth and a wf monkey at Sirena. Not sure you'd have a great chance of seeing them near La Poloma.

Your itinerary doesn't include Manuel Antonio, does it? Those two critters are guaranteed sightings there.

Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
reviews: 4
5. Re: La Paloma or Finca Maresia for wildlife.

When I was at La Paloma a little over a year ago, I saw a sloth haning in the same tree across from the restaurant for 3 days, a whole bunch of white face monkeys on the path to my room and of course lot's of macaws.

There is definately wildlife there!

Chicago
6. Re: La Paloma or Finca Maresia for wildlife.

Would love to go to Manuel Antonio but only have one week (new job).

I do have one open day but it is on Monday and MA is closed. Maybe next time.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
7. Re: La Paloma or Finca Maresia for wildlife.

It is a bit ironic that normally white face monkeys are the easiest monkeys to see where they are found near human settlements. But, there are so few humans in the Osa that it's easier to see the other species.

Chicago
8. Re: La Paloma or Finca Maresia for wildlife.

I did see one in Santa Rose NP but was tough to get a photo.

Chicago
9. Re: La Paloma or Finca Maresia for wildlife.

Talk to a couple who love Finca Maresia, but for me my choice of LaPaloma was the correct pick. Not only was the view awesome, but white face monkey's all over. Also saw spider and howler monkey's, toucans and Macaws.

Los Altos, CA
reviews: 3
10. Re: La Paloma or Finca Maresia for wildlife.

Oh you went on your trip, wildlifeship - did you get to see a sloth too? I absolutely love them! Saw them in the La Fortuna/Arenal area when I was in CR and can't remember if I saw them in Manuel Antonio too. My next trip to CR will be to the Osa so I hope to see them there as well.