We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in January

Which Drake Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tennessee
reviews: 21
Weather in January

Am I correct in stating that the weather in January will be warm 85 degrees during the day, and about 70 degrees at night. With very little rain, less humidity.

Trying to get an accurate description for my parents who are trying to decide if they can stand the heat in January without any AC. Seems to me its hot in January but certainly not unbearable and nothing that a nice swim in the ocean cant help.

Any thoughts?

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
reviews: 69
1. Re: Weather in January

Not that much rain, but it still can rain at any time.

It's very humid, however.

We slept comfortably at Finca Maresia without any air conditioning. Key is whether the room has adequate ventilation.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 20
2. Re: Weather in January

We slept comfortably in Drake Bay in June with a fan and much greater temps and humidity levels than you noted above but everone is different in what they consider unbearable.

That nice swim in the ocean is highly dependent on where they are staying. There are rip currents along the shore and most places do not have swimmable beaches. Las Caletas has a swimmable beach and there are a couple of other spots but enquire with your proposed lodge abou thow far a hike it is to safe swimmable beaches.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
3. Re: Weather in January

For us natives maybe one of the best months of the year to visit us...and our great visitors as well they love that month...nice and dry...incredible dark nights with millions of stars...even the milky way is possible to spot...

roadadvisor

San Francisco...
4. Re: Weather in January

I agree with roadadvisor, January is amazing because the jungle is super lush from the past rainy season, but you wont get much if any rain. It is mid 80s and humid in the day. Water temp is low 80s.

There are actually a few nice swimming beaches, one in front of Las Caletas www.caletas.cr, Copa De Arbol www.copadearbol.com (which has air conditioning) and also in front of Corcovado Adventures Tent Camp www.corcovado.com.

Edited: 5:55 pm, July 03, 2012
Tennessee
reviews: 21
5. Re: Weather in January

Thank you everyone for these replies and the other posts and messages. About ready to book everything....very excited.

reviews: 45
6. Re: Weather in January

The weather will be perfect in January! As for swimming, I have never had any problems- but then I always check for riptide currents and don't swim out too far. The breezes coming off the ocean have always provided relief from the heat - I can tell you I have never been as uncomfortable in Costa Rica as I am right now in the heat wave we are experiencing in the States!

7. Re: Weather in January

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, July 05, 2013