We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drake Bay Lodge vs Corcovado Tent camp

Which Drake Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tennessee
reviews: 21
Drake Bay Lodge vs Corcovado Tent camp

Need help comparing the two in the following aspects:

1. beach for scenery, walking

2. beach for swimming

3. wildlife viewing near grounds

4. accomodations

5. food

6. service

7. location

8. anything else I missed

If anybody has any knowledge that can help with these I would greatly appreciate it.

San Francisco...
1. Re: Drake Bay Lodge vs Corcovado Tent camp

I assume you mean Drake Bay Wilderness Resort? Is so, they are very different. The Tent Camp is right on the beach, tents on platforms, little beds with sheets, pillows. Luxury camping.

DBWR is more of a resort, more amenities, not right on a swimming beach. About twice the cost. But nicer too.

If you want a more unique camping (ish) experience, and are on a budget, the Tent Camp is better. If you want more amenities at a resort like hotel, DBWR is the way to go.

1. beach for scenery, walking -

2. beach for swimming

TC right on the beach, great for swimming and snorkeling, scenery / DBWR walking distance to swimming beach

3. wildlife viewing near grounds

TC - Lots of wildlife DBWR - lots wildlife, maybe a bit less than TC, but you can walk 45 -60 minutes to a more remote area for viewing wildlife

4. accommodations

Completely different / TC walk in tents / DBWR little cabina/rooms

5. food

both yummy, local fresh caught fish, Costa Rican Vegies, both can accommodate special diets

6. service

Both good, DBWR will cater to you more as you pay a bunch more

7. location

TC location way better in my opinion, but DBWR has a saltwater pool, great if you have kids!

Cheers!

Tennessee
2. Re: Drake Bay Lodge vs Corcovado Tent camp

Thank you very much. Thats some great info. We do have a 5 year old son. Plan on taking lots of tours. One plan we have is to do 5 days in Osa at a place like the tent camp. And then 3 days in a more "plush" area and accomodation. Any thoughts on where my wife can relax and recover from 5 days of roughing it?

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
3. Re: Drake Bay Lodge vs Corcovado Tent camp

Maybe Manuel Antonio in the way out...a lot of great places to relax after that close encounter with mother nature creation!

roadadvisor

Tennessee
4. Re: Drake Bay Lodge vs Corcovado Tent camp

We had planned on flying from SJ to DB both ways but can you fly down to DB, then rent a car to drive back to SJ, driving up the coast, stopping a night or two on the way?

San Francisco...
5. Re: Drake Bay Lodge vs Corcovado Tent camp

Yes, you can have your rental car waiting for you at the Sierpe dock. Great if you like the idea of driving. I always prefer to take a shared shuttle back up the coast so I dont have to deal with driving, directions, etc... Your Drake Hotel can set up these shuttle transfers for you. Sharedcosts about 25$ per person from Sierpe to Manuel Antonio/Quepos/Dominical area.

Then once you there you can take a public bus back to SJ for about 5$ per person. Good experience for the child to take a public bus!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
6. Re: Drake Bay Lodge vs Corcovado Tent camp

In that area you can contact SOLID rent a car...they are located in Puerto Jimenez.

roadadvisor

7. Re: Drake Bay Lodge vs Corcovado Tent camp

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:46 am, June 26, 2013