We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive to Drake Bay

Which Drake Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington, PA
reviews: 2
Drive to Drake Bay

Can anyone give me an idea or time, distance, and places to stop along the way if you are driving from Arenal to Drake Bay?

Thank you.

Uvita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Uvita, Ojochal
reviews: 29
1. Re: Drive to Drake Bay

hi

Its a long drive about 11 hours, look at distance time calculator: yourtravelmap.com/costarica/…

If you drive pace to stop would be Dominical or Uvita or ojochal Area.

You can cut your drive distance and time by going to Sierpe and taking the water taxi or your Lodges water shuttle. Otherwise would be to Fly SANSA or Nature Air.

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
reviews: 26
2. Re: Drive to Drake Bay

if it's rainy season you can't drive to drake, there are a couple of rivers with no bridges that can't be crossed in a car during the rainy season. i drove there in february with no problems. while the drive is beautiful, there isn't really anything to stop and "do" along the way once you've turned off of the costanera to osa. there are a few restaurants along the main road but once you turn off to head to drake, it's pretty much just small villages here and there with small grocery stores. i don't recall seeing a gas station anywhere but i could be wrong. fill up before you leave the costanera.

San Jose, Costa Rica
3. Re: Drive to Drake Bay

Easy 10 to 11 hours...and during rainy season two nasty rivers...Sonny is correct as alwys...and of course TIKIVILLAS...good idea maybe split the trip in two stop at Tikivilas in UVITA...and check weather and river conditions once you are there.

No problema during dry season...fun drive...yes fill the car at Chacarita...or drive to Puerto Jimenez!

roadadvisor

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
reviews: 26
4. Re: Drive to Drake Bay

luis - you hiring?

how far is it from the bahia drake turn off to puerto jimenez?

Edited: 12:50 pm, October 15, 2011
Uvita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Uvita, Ojochal
5. Re: Drive to Drake Bay

I would like to add that you can not drive to most lodges in Drake, you will need to leave your car and take a boat or hike for a wille. Leaving your car or returning it in sierpe might make more sense.

Good points in dry season no problem driving, in green season depends on the amount of rain and rivers. I would not drive in green season as even though the rivers might be Ok going to Drake if there are some big rains once you are there you might be stuck in Drake until the river waters go down again.

There are a couple of places you can park in Sierpe safely and most rent a cars will pick your car up there for a fee. And then maybe fly back one way

Washington, PA
6. Re: Drive to Drake Bay

Thank you everyone for your information.

My 10 day trip (excludes to and from CR days)...is going to include Arenal and Uvita/Dominicial. In your opinion...would you try to go to Bosque or Drake?

I was thinking MA will be too touristy....and some people don't tend to like Monteverde (too long drive).

Is it easy to do a day trip from Uvita/Dominicial to MA?

We are planning to drive....as I have concerns about the small plane rides due to luggage, weight limit, etc.

We can leave car at Sierpe...but where do you think it would be safe.

Lastly, in returning to SJ...would it be feasible to go straight from Uvita there or stop in san gerardo for a night?

Any opinions on this itinerary....would you include another stop besides Arenal and Uvita?

Thanks so much

Uvita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Uvita, Ojochal
7. Re: Drive to Drake Bay

From Dominical Uvita you can do day tours to Corcovado NP with the following operators:

www.ballenatourcostarica.com/in/home.html

http://www.dolphintourcostarica.com/

http://www.southernexpeditionscr.com/

http://www.bahiaaventuras.com/

You can organise a day tour from Sierpe to Drake Bay but, if you go to Drake its better to spen a couple of nights there.

From Dominical/Uvita to Manuel Antonio it is a very easy day trip and many do it in hhalf day. It is about 1 hour on a very nice road, I live in Uvita and some times pop over for lunch to MA..

There is a guarded car par and you can check with the lodge in Drake as many have a place for you to leave your car. Of course take everything with you, do not leave anything in the car.

Going from Uvita to San Geraldo de Dota is about 1 1/2 hours, many visitors spend one night there going from Uvita to San Jose and continue the next day.

Were you go drake or Bosque depends on your objective, if it is to see the Corcovado National park Drake bay is about 30 to 40 min by boat to the ranger station, from Uvita it is 1 1/2 hours boat trip each way for the day trip.

If you go from Arenal to Uvita (you can visit MA as well as the Marine Park), then Drake? On the way back maybe one night in San Geraldo de Dota or Orosi Valle. I would not add any more locations 10 days 3 is plenty.

Washington, PA
8. Re: Drive to Drake Bay

Thank you, tikivilli....

Is Arenal to Uvita manageable in 1 day of travel?

Then, it looks like Uvita to Drake is possible...but what about Bosque instead?

My husband and I are mid-late 50's and are not looking for alot of physical activity or tying our days up with ziplining, surfing, lengthy hikes, etc ..but rather relaxing, enjoying atmosphere and sightings, wildlife, etc.

Thanks very much

Uvita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Uvita, Ojochal
9. Re: Drive to Drake Bay

Hi Karen, the drive is about 5 1/2 hour drive time from Arenal to Uvita. So leaving in the morning gives you plenty of time to have a easy drive. The area from Dominical, thrugh Uvita and Ojochal has rainforest covered mountains that start from the beach. The is a tone of things to do that are relaxed and easy going like waterfalls, beaches and nature walks. whale Watching tours, tours to Corcovado the hikes are more like nature walks. Cano Island snorkling, twilight nature walks, etc.

Hacienda Baru has some easy walks inc self guided also a canopy tour but the zips are easy going and have had people in there 60's go and enjoy, have a look at their website: www.haciendabaru.com/ outside of Dominical town itself most accomodations are set around nature and many are eco friendly with a choice of luxury through standard, small and larger as well as some Eco lodges.

The area is not a big party place nor do we have any large chain or non chain hotels all are small including the largest have no more than about 30 rooms. Not very turisty for the moment, in province of Osa and there are a lot of toucans, monkeys and other wildlife and as far as I can see all tour operators and accomodation provioders in the area are very eco responsible.

Edited: 4:14 pm, October 15, 2011
Seattle, Washington
reviews: 12
10. Re: Drive to Drake Bay

Based on what you've said I would choose Bosque at Cabo Matapalo over Drake Bay.