We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sierpe or Drake Bay

Which Drake Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Myakka City FL
reviews: 6
Sierpe or Drake Bay

Hi. Can anyone help me decide whether I should stay at Sierpe or Drake Bay? I would like to take tour to Sirena station in Corcovado and a snorkel trip to Cano. Would I get more tour time from Drake being closer? How bad is the drive to Drake? Better to take boat from Sierpe? What are boat times to and from? I would also like to spend some time on the beach and I figured with Drake I am on the beach whereas Sierpe I would need to drive or pay for a boat to take me to beach.

Washington
1. Re: Sierpe or Drake Bay

Stay in drake for sure. Beautiful deserted beaches, tons of wildlife..easy access to the things you are interested in doing. Check out lodges and you'll get an idea of day trips, etc. It can get costly though. We took the boat down sierpe and got dropped off right at the beach. You can also fly in. I don't know how accessible it is by car. Roadadvisor may be able to answer that.

Uvita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Uvita, Ojochal
reviews: 28
2. Re: Sierpe or Drake Bay

Between the two definitively Drake, there really is not much in Sierpe besides the mangroves. I drove to Drake about an year ago and was no problem. Beautiful beach but most of the hotels due to the location do full board and charge per person so can add up.

Now another option rather than Sierpe would be based out of Uvita & Ojochal area, there are tours by boat and the travel time not much different to Corcovado, Sirena & Cano Island and go for about $100 p/p there is a wider selection of hotels and restaurants and beaches than Drake.

Couple of the tour operators so you can get an idea and compare it to Drake:

www.ballenatourcostarica.com/in/home.html

http://www.dolphintourcostarica.com/

http://www.southernexpeditionscr.com/

http://www.bahiaaventuras.com/

Drake Bay, Costa...
3. Re: Sierpe or Drake Bay

For usefull info about what to do and stay in Drake www.corcovadoexpeditions.net

Balatonfured...
4. Re: Sierpe or Drake Bay

At Sierpe some insist you need the park permit (arranged by them) ahead of time. Last time in Sirena the Park Ranger accepted the $10 cash (gave a receipt), no problem.

I am looking for someone (any place from Ojochal & Southward) who would take me to Sirena with no hassle (i.e. insisting on a guide, feeding ... ) and on the way back take me to Isla de Caño for a few hours.

Any suggestions & cost involved?

San Jose, Costa Rica
5. Re: Sierpe or Drake Bay

Drake Bay...that is a lot better palce to stay...a lot!

roadadvisor

Balatonfured...
6. Re: Sierpe or Drake Bay

Yeah, but Drake Bay is far away on a dirt road. Not to mention, there is no place to safely park the car (without someone asking for a "watch your car fee"). Economy is not doing well for years. It does not help when people making a bad rep for everyone else, including for those who depend on a solid flow of tourist dollars/euros.

Again, how can I get from North of Drake (Sierpe, Ojochal, etc.) to Sirena?

Everyone swore that you have to pay in advance to get a permit to visit Corcovado. So we wasted an entire day at Puerto Jimenez. It turned out you can pay in Corcovado half the amount ... question still remains ... why? who benefits?

Colorado
reviews: 9
7. Re: Sierpe or Drake Bay

Drake Bay hands down.

8. Re: Sierpe or Drake Bay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:18 pm, December 15, 2013