We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

need a little advice/info on Drake Bay for a new visitor

Which Drake Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Texas
need a little advice/info on Drake Bay for a new visitor

Hi, two thirty year old guys are headed to Costa Rica on Nov. 21 and are trying to finalize our itinerary. I really want to go to the Drake Bay/Corcovado/Cano Island area and have a few questions.

We arrive at SJO airport at 1PM and I see there is a 3PM Sansa flight to Drake Bay. Will it be easy to connect between these flights with only 2 hours or less? I assume they are at the same airport since Sansa lists SJO , or is it another smaller airport nearby?

When we land at Drake Bay, is it easy to get to the hotels? It sounds like I just need to arrange that with the resort but I’ve also read a few posts on here about wading through rivers to get to the resort.

Once in Drake Bay, I would like to Scuba Dive so I’m looking to stay at Hotel Jinetes de Osa or Pirates Cove? Are there any places more budget-friendly that are still easy to go diving from and help arrange transfer to and from the airport? We don’t require fancy accommodations and would love to save on the hotel.

What is the best way to get the most out of Corcovado Park? We are both in great shape and are ready to hike. I usually don’t like tour groups or guided tours but is that necessary for a short visit to the park? Can I start walking from my Drake Bay hotel and do the park or do I need transportation from the hotel to get to the park?

After flying back to San Jose, we are going directly to the Arenal area where we want to hike to the waterfall, enjoy Tabacan Hot Springs, go canyoning, and finally white water raft either in from the Arenal area or from San Jose on the day before we fly back. Considering this, should we do 3 full days in Drake Bay and 2.5 days in Arenal with rafting or 2 full days in Drake Bay and 3.5 days in Arenal with rafting?

Thanks so much!

Potomac, Maryland
reviews: 1
11. Re: need a little advice/info on Drake Bay for a new visitor

We'll be in Drake Bay in December. I was wondering how I would book an overnight stay at Sirena Ranger station, and how I would hire a local guide?

Any recommendations? Thanks.

Puerto Jimenez...
reviews: 3
12. Re: need a little advice/info on Drake Bay for a new visitor

Mitra,

You can book your stay at Sirena Ranger Station 30 days before your arrival. You will need to send your name, country, passport numbers, and the dates of your stay, plus any meals you would like to take there to "pncorcovado@gmail.com". They will send you a email saying how much it will cost. Your reservation is not complete until it is paid in full through the park's account at Banco National.

If you will be making your reservations from another country other than Costa Rica, you can have your guide make/pay the reservation (after you have made a deposit) or you can use a third party like Sol de Osa to book it for you.

I hope this helps,

Ballardo Diaz

13. Re: need a little advice/info on Drake Bay for a new visitor

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:22 am, October 25, 2012