We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Casco Dominical

Which Dominical hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Saskatoon, Canada
reviews: 23
Casco Dominical

Hi Everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has stayed at Casco Dominical rented by Ted Tambke lately? It's a 10 bedroom estate by Dominical. I've already put down a deposit for next February and am wondering what other people's experiences have been with this property. I found it kind of sketchy that the only ways to pay were with wire transfer or by cheque. I took my chances anyways but would like some reassurance before I put down the rest of what I owe closer to the trip. Let me know if you have any information! The posts on here are a few years outdated and a lot can change. Thanks for your help!

Erin

Dominical, Costa...
reviews: 10
1. Re: Casco Dominical

Erin,

I live most of the year in Dominical and know Ted personally. I have not had the need to rent from him but can verify he is a legitimate local part time resident with an amazing property he makes available as a vacation rental. I have visited the property many times, know some of the staff and have it as one of my listings which is how we originally met. As a owner of a couple of vacations rentals here in Dominical too, collecting money from around the world is sometimes difficult and so many owners limit the methods they want to use. I do not find it unusual that he limits himself to just a couple of methods. I and many other owners use a combination of PayPal, credit cards, North American or Costa Rican bank deposits or transfers plus personal or cashiers checks mailed to North American addresses. Sometimes when my Colorado mail is not going to be checked for a long period of time I have the checks sent to a friend in Alaska who deposits them for me which sometimes concerns the guests so I offer previous guest to contact them to let them know their experiences were good and everything is legit. Many times if I detect a hint of doubt from a future guest I offer them to bring the remaining amount in cash that they give me on arrival. I doubt very strongly you will have an issue with Ted. Have a great time and enjoy the sunset every evening from his incredible pool and outside living area. If you want to share the sunset one evening, I will share some of our Alaskan Kenai River smoked salmon my wife and I catch and process ourselves every year. We bring it down to share with some of our friends and guests here in Dominical and it is almost as good as the fresh tuna caught locally.

Saskatoon, Canada
2. Re: Casco Dominical

Thanks for your reply Dave! I do feel a lot better now. This is my first vacation rental I've ever booked so I'm not used to the unconventional payment methods but how you described it makes sense. This will be my fourth trip to Dominical and we thought we would try something different, although I've loved the hotels we've stayed at too. We're very excited for the pool, especially to have it all to ourselves! Ps, that Alaskan smoked salmon sounds amazing, being from Canada that is absolutely one of my favourite foods.

Anyways thanks for your help! If you have any other Dominical advice or things to check out let me know, I'm always looking for something new!

Erin

Dominical, Costa...
reviews: 10
3. Re: Casco Dominical

Glad to help. If you are here on February 16th, we will be having our annual 5K/10K that helps the Lifeguards, a local public elementary school and a dog rescue organization. This is the first time we have done it in February. This is the sixth year since my wife and I created it and it starts on Playa Dominicalito with some jungle time and for the 10K a very challenging mountain section. It is on a low-tide Sunday morning starting at 7 am. Also looking for volunteers if you are chilling out too much. I will set some smoked salmon aside for you and I have had some made by our Canadian friends and they do a great job too.

More ideas soon.

Saskatoon, Canada
4. Re: Casco Dominical

Oh wow I wish we were there a few days earlier! We are only arriving in Dominical the 18th. We have some serious runners in the family that would have really enjoyed that. I'll have to look into that for the following year if it's at the same time again.

Atlanta, Georgia
reviews: 8
5. Re: Casco Dominical

Hey I was wondering if you ended up staying at this property? If so, what are your thoughts?

Orlando, Florida
reviews: 2
6. Re: Casco Dominical

Yes I am curious of this too. All of the recent reviews sound pretty positive so just want to be sure before money exchanges hands

Saskatoon, Canada
7. Re: Casco Dominical

I did respond to some people privately, but for those I didn't talk to.. I would give this house a solid 8/10. I was very hesitant when booking this place as you can see from my original post, but once I got there I breathed a major sigh of relief because it was better than expected!! Here are some of the pros and cons:

Pros:

1)The Pool!!! - Pictures do not do it justice. It is bigger than most private pools and the view is better that what you could even expect. We spent 90% of our time in the pool and surrounding areas. There are many great patios and outdoor living space, you never have to go inside.

2)Very private bedrooms - The bedrooms are all very spread out and quiet, you can't hear each other and it's a very peaceful place to sleep. You will definitely fight over the master bedroom.

3)Location - It's 2km from Dominical, and we walked there multiple times a day. Along the highway can be a bit sketchy, but during low tide you can walk straight down to the beach and take the beach to town. If you rent a car, even better, but be sure to get a 4x4.

Cons:

1) Booking.. I didn't like that there wasn't an option to use Visa or Paypal, as wiring money directly isn't a safe transaction and I wouldn't want to do that again. Ted just doesn't have that option set up.

2)Wear and Tear of house - The house is in need of some upgrading. It's age is starting to show with an older, dark kitchen, some showers needing fixing during our stay, and some locks that refused to work. The cupboards are stocked but with mismatched plastic cups and older dishes. None of this was a big deal to us and we had everything we needed.

3)"Staff" on the premises - We were happy to have them there to put chemical in the pool and they fixed the showers that weren't working, but other than that they just did a quick sweep of the main area every morning. We had to go ask every time we needed fresh towels or had a question about the house. We really never saw them.

Overall, despite the aging state of the home, it is really breathtaking. I have never had a view like that in a hotel and it's great to be able to have a resort sized pool to yourself to do whatever you want! We really never spent anytime indoors besides cooking and sleeping so the few things it could have used were not an issue at all. For this price, I guarantee you won't find something as big, with an infinity pool and 10 bedrooms this close to Dominical. It's worth being walking distance from there because they have a great town that really should be explored.

8. Re: Casco Dominical

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 am, July 15, 2015