We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

whats a fair price to pay to have food cooked

Which Dominical hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
new york
whats a fair price to pay to have food cooked

we are looking at booking a house and they offer to cook meals for you what should we expect to pay per meal for an adult and a child...

also do you tip the owners of a VRBO home

Costa Rica
reviews: 26
1. Re: whats a fair price to pay to have food cooked

You don't tip the owners but anyone who works there - gardener, maintenance man, maid.

What you should expect to pay for someone to cook for you will depend partly on whether the person does the shopping or you do. Also - if it's just a meal now and again or whether they will be cooking for you the whole time. (Kind of a "volume discount.")

The government of Costa Rica sets the minimum wage for categories of workers. For a "skilled worker, " the minimum wage is 9,340 colones per an 8-hour day. Where it gets complicated -- the employer is also liable for pension and the national health service as well as paid vacation and a yearly "bonus" equal to one month's pay. So the actual minimum would probably be around 11,000 colones per 8 hour day. Keep in mind this is the MINIMUM - so many people will make more than that.

It will also depend on the skill level and experience of the cook. Is it a restaurant chef or is it a lady who is a great cook but not "chef" status?

So....... no easy answer, really. Perhaps others have experience in the Dominical area that will be more valuable.

San Jose, Costa Rica
2. Re: whats a fair price to pay to have food cooked

Agree with HAttie,,,also take in consideration if the person is a chef or just a person willing to cook...that make a whole big difference...

roadadvisor

Dominical, Costa...
reviews: 10
3. Re: whats a fair price to pay to have food cooked

I manage the reservations for about 10 vacation rentals here in Dominical (own a couple of them) and we occasionally get requests for chefs or people to cook meals. Mostly it is a one or two night arrangement. The chefs we recommend usually charge the cost of the food plus about $35 per person rate when there is two and then a lesser per person amount when there are three or more. They typically receive a tip.

We were just introduced to a very nice Italian couple offering take out from their location in Dominicalito. They brought a sample a couple days ago and it was great. We hope they are successful and stay in the area. His name is Gianni and he can be reached on 8496-4547. They will also come to your home and cook your meal(s).

No need to tip the owners or their staff. Although many of our guests leave a nominal amount for the cleaning person when they depart (usually colones they do not want to take back home). Tipping in restaurants is usually not required as they typically add 10% to the bill for service. Always check to see if they did or not add it. Unless the service was over the top then the 10% is adequate.

JENSEN BEACH
reviews: 39
4. Re: whats a fair price to pay to have food cooked

$35 per person? That seems quite high if it doesn't include the food. Is that for only one meal?

Dominical, Costa...
5. Re: whats a fair price to pay to have food cooked

It is a special multi course meal that you meet with the chef a day or so before the meal to plan it out. He (or she) lets you know what fish is currently available, other main entry suggestions, talk about local vegetables (some that are unique to Costa Rica/Central America), to plan the meal based on your dietary restrictions, etc. Then they shop for all the ingredients and many times pre do a certain amount the meal. They come to your villa at a designated time, serve appetizers, the main meal, dessert and clean the kitchen. It is going to cost more than going to a real nice restaurant due to the personal touch and level of service you receive plus the chefs we recommend have graduated from culinary institutes or programs. They typically have a pretty impressive resume history and ended up in Dominical looking to enjoy a more laid back lifestyle after working in a 4 or 5-star restaurant. The price per person drops when you have more than just a couple since it take about he same effort to cook for 4 or 6 as it does for two. Plus it creates great memories. We only recommend chefs for our guests that we have tested personally.

JENSEN BEACH
6. Re: whats a fair price to pay to have food cooked

Ah I suppose that makes sense. In our case we can have all of that in S Florida, more 5 star restaurants than we need here. When we have a cook in the Caribbean or Central America we expect a local style more "simple" meal I suppose. In previous travels we have paid approx $100 per day for 2 meals but then we didn't expect a high level of "service" and don't really need culinary school graduates, just good local food served in a simple manner. For Dominical we will most likely prepare some dinners at our villa (yet to be chosen) on the bbq. Good fresh fish, local veggies and we are happy. After a long day and the dark roads I'm thinking we'll have our main meal out most days before returning home to relax and enjoy the peace and scenery. Looking forward to exploring the local mkts and hopefully catching a few fish ourselves. In previous travels to CR I have had my best meals in simple restaurants.

Dominical, Costa...
7. Re: whats a fair price to pay to have food cooked

Your plan sounds perfect and everything to make it happen is here waiting for you. There a a few locals that can come fix one or two meals at a lower cost who provide more local oriented dishes. My wife and I just returned a few minutes ago after trying a soda (neighborhood open air restaurant) about 13 Km north of Dominical that had been recommended by several of our local friends. Their specialty is seafood. It was a quiet night and we started with some ceviche that was excellent and for our main plate we both had different offerings of mahi mauhi, caught locally. The name of the place is called Langosta. Other than the beer being overpriced it was a good experience. More soon.

JENSEN BEACH
8. Re: whats a fair price to pay to have food cooked

Thanks! That is just the kind of place we enjoy...well except for the overpriced beer ;-) I already have a couple of favorite sodas in CR and am anxious to explore more! I'm looking at places for rent...so many great options! May be sending you a pm soon for some help!

Loveland, Colorado
reviews: 1
9. Re: whats a fair price to pay to have food cooked

Hey Dominical Dave,

I was wondering if you had contact info for people that might come to our vacation villa in Dominical and cook for a family of 6, 5-7 nights out of a 2 week stay. We are going to be there starting January 7.

10. Re: whats a fair price to pay to have food cooked

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, July 25, 2014