We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Costa Rica trip

Which Dominical hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bristol, Maine
Costa Rica trip

I am traveling to Costa Rica in about 4 weeks. We are going to Arenal Observatory Lodge and then to Dominical where we are renting a house. We are outdoors people, so I envision that we will walk somewhat into the forest. Nearby our rental is a waterfall to hike to, where we can swim. My concern is poisonous reptiles, ants, spiders, etc. Is there a hospital near Dominical? Should we bring an antivenom with us? Is there anything else we should bring for safety? My husband and friend will probably venture a little further than the women. I hate to be a scardeycat but I just want us to be prepared. Also, in the Dominical area, do we have to worry about alligators, or Crocs?

Bethesda MD
reviews: 15
1. Re: Costa Rica trip

There is a hospital not too distant in Cortes, and far more likely to be relevant, there are farmacias and clinics. You'll be following a more trodden path than you seem to be imagining. Google up "Ballena Tales" for some reassuance. In practical terms, the biggest risk near Dominical is probably rip tides. Make sure you understand where swimming is and is not safe and how to swim out of one

But yes, you do need to worry about Crocs. Many tourists seem to insist on wearing them, and the Germans sometimes even wear socks underneath. Shudders.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
reviews: 58
2. Re: Costa Rica trip

And what about Dutch. Some of them have crocs made of wood.

Edited: 2:30 am, January 24, 2013
Bristol, Maine
3. Re: Costa Rica trip

Thank you for your responses. So, it appears that I am just being hyper-vigilant about the lions, tigers and bears...oh my! I live in Maine, where we don't have to worry about any poisonous or man-eating creatures, except a rare bear. But, we do have Croc wearing tourists, who also wear socks with them. So, how many tourists are lost a year in CR to snake bites and croc ingestion? Tilted Flip, thanks for the info about the hospital in Cortes and Ballena Tales. Any additional information will be helpful. Thanks.

San Jose, Costa Rica
4. Re: Costa Rica trip

You might be there at the same time as this festival if you're interested in bizarre wildlife.

http://www.2013.envisionfestival.com/

5. Re: Costa Rica trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, January 26, 2014