We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is renting a house safe??

Which Dominical hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Rockwall, Texas
reviews: 82
Is renting a house safe??

I have been interested in visiting CR and have never been. I have been spoiled by my trips to St. John, USVI staying in a private villa/cottage. After reading some things on here about robberies, I'm afraid of being in a strange country in a private dwelling. So, can someone tell me if that's safe?? Most of the places on my favorites list so far are in the Dominical/ Uvita/ Manuel Antonio area. Is this a good place to stay for a first time visit? We are beach people. Also, we love snorkeling, which I understand isn't great in CR. I do love wildlife and whales, too, though!

california
reviews: 3
11. Re: Is renting a house safe??

Hi,

We have stayed in Casa Oceano inside of the Tango Mar Resort in Tambor 3 times over the past several years. It is one of the only villas I am aware of in Costa Rica that is truly on the oceanfront...right on the sand. The villa is really amazing and does have a full staff, including their own private chef. It seems to me that most of the houses being mentioned here, are no where near the beach..Dominical and Manuel Antonio have few to none, as far as I can tell. If this person really does want oceanfront, there isn't much to chose from, and Casa Oceano is one of the few.

Renting a house is for some, the best and most economical way to go, when you factor in what a hotel room would cost for even a family, plus meals in restaurants. Anyway, that has been my experience!

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 135
12. Re: Is renting a house safe??

So all the posters after me, confirmed exactly what I said in my first response. But Road Advisor does not like hearing anything contrary to his stubborn beliefs, then nitpicks my post, and just wants to make a stink about nothing.

As for Sara, my comment about CR being a developing country is not an insult or a negative, its a positive, but it also has some less than perfect issues and situations unlike BVI. Though my brother was beaten and almost died in BVI by locals in a crime ridden area.

Yes CR has an great infrastructure to serve the tourist, but there are also some places better than other, for some people with certain expectations. Thats all. Why do people get upset over innocent remarks about crime, economics, politics or society?

It cant be that bad in CR, after all, it has the happiest on earth and also a long life expectancy. Maybe the poster will like it so much they will retire there...

Edited: 6:45 pm, January 07, 2013
Harwich Port...
reviews: 1
13. Re: Is renting a house safe??

We rented a house in MA the beginning of December and it was very safe, no problems what so ever. The house was right on the beach and we spent every free moment swimming and walking the beach. I lived in the Virgin Islands for years and even though the beaches are different in CR we loved them. Some people will say MA is too touristy but we did not get that feeling at all. I am sure you will get the same vibe further south. We too had read about the robberies but found the country to be very safe compared to many others that we have traveled to. We can't wait to go back and explore the whole country. Put your worries aside and rent a house, it is the best way to go.

14. Re: Is renting a house safe??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10:35 am, January 21, 2013
Edited: 10:35 am, January 21, 2013
San Luis Obispo...
reviews: 6
15. Re: Is renting a house safe??

We rented Flying Toucans and it was the best vacation ever! The place is magical, to say the least. It is one of the few homes actually on the ocean side of the road and not up in the mountains, so you will not need a 4x4. The house is fantastic with a completely open layout downstairs. You will love being outside all the time, especially when the monkeys and toucans visit. The view is breathtaking and if you're anything like us, you will basically live in the pool.

We went out to dinner a few times but mostly just grilled outside and chilled. There are nice grocery stores in nearby Uvita and plenty of fruit/seafood stands. The only drawback is the beach. If you are looking for white sandy beaches with no surf, this area is not for you. Accessing the beach from the villa is a hike so keep that in mind. But, it's easy to get in the car and go explore other beaches. We didn't mind this at all because being at the villa made up for everything. Like I said, it truly was magical.

We never felt not safe. The upstairs bedroom/bathroom area is totally secure and they even provide a safe. The monkeys enjoy watching you taking a shower, so if you're shy you might want to close the shutters. LOL!

Let me know if I can answer any of your questions.

ojochal costa rica
reviews: 19
16. Re: Is renting a house safe??

yes it is down at our end of the world. the costa ballena from dominical to ojochal is a nice area. mainly you just have to be careful of property crimes. be safe with cars and stuff. very little if any violent crime. and the tourist police presence is much better. jay

San Jose, Costa Rica
reviews: 6
17. Re: Is renting a house safe??

Dominical is a beautiful are, and it is a strategic spot, from there you can visit Manuel Antonio Nataional Park, jus 40 minutes away, and enjoy the gorgeous beaches with the rain forest on the back, the ocean there is alos protected so you can try snorkelling it might be nice, as road advisor says, also from Dominical you can take a boat and in one hour and a half two hours you will reach caño island, this is a paradise for snorkellers, spectacular, and on the way there you might see whales and dolphins, Dominical is the place to stay about 15 beaches close by.

Rent a house ? it is a good option, but the hotels are nice too, try Cristal Ballena or Cuna del Angel,

Rockwall, Texas
reviews: 82
18. Re: Is renting a house safe??

Thank you everyone! I'm still working on things and hoping for a vacation this year! I have 2 sons getting married this summer, a new grandson, and have had a few "unexpected" costs this spring, so my vacation may not happen this year, but I'm hopeful! CR is definitely on my go to list!

Dominical
reviews: 2
19. Re: Is renting a house safe??

As you mentioned Flying Toucans specifically, I may be able to help you. My husband and I have managed FT for the past seven years and regardless of its open design, we have never had an incidence of theft until recently when Coco, a semi -domesticated monkey stole a designer bag with an Ipod case, wedding guest list and a half dozen breakfast bars. Everything except the breakfast bars were recovered in the bushes near the garage. There have also been in the past, a few attempted break -ins by a gang of racoons.

Dominical, Costa...
reviews: 11
20. Re: Is renting a house safe??

For people that are not into the 4 to 5-star resort scene, Dominical is a great place to experience the real Costa Rica. It is a laid back atmosphere located in what many Costa Ricans describe as one of the prettiest parts of their country. In addition to all there is to do with the ocean/beach activities, we have the mountains at our doorstep so all of the adventures Costa Rica is noted for are available in our area ranging from zip-line nature tours, horseback riding to one of the most scenic waterfalls in the country, white-water rafting, river canyonering and much more. It is also a perfect place to do absolutely nothing. In answer to your questions, it is as safe here as most people's home town, however, if you are careless and leave valuables easily accessible, you have a chance of losing them. Along with a tourist police presence, we have an active crime awareness program here in the area to convince the bad guys to go somewhere else which has become a model for other programs that are popping up around the country. Common sense prevents 99% of creating opportunities for the thief's that may be lurking around but this is true no matter where in the world you are. We live here and my wife goes on early morning runs on the jungle roads and along the beach many times by herself and feels as safe as she does when running in North America - probably feels safer here. The months of January to March are when the water visibility is the best and even that is marginal especially compared to St John and the Caribbean islands. It is not noted as a destination for snorkeling. What attracts scuba divers to the area is the different critters that can be seen even though the visibility is not as clear as other destination dive locations around the world. There are many homes to select from for lodging in our area where you can experience the jungle and enjoy the ocean views including many in the Trip Advisor Vacation Rental section of their website. All you need to do is read some of the guest reviews and you will feel comfortable knowing that this is a great area to visit as your first Costa Rican experience. Many of the guests we host return more than once.