We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wondering if smoking will be an issue (for non-smokers)

Which Dominical hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Frisco, Colorado
reviews: 11
Wondering if smoking will be an issue (for non-smokers)

We will be in Dominical in Feb., and are staying several nights each at Hacienda Baru and Coconut Grove. We are non-smokers, and I recently learned that smoking is allowed in Hacienda Baru's rooms, but don't know about Coconut Grove. Can anyone comment on whether non-smokers might be bothered (for lack of a better word - don't mean to offend!) at either of these accommodations?

Uvita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Uvita, Ojochal
reviews: 39
1. Re: Wondering if smoking will be an issue (for non-smokers)

There was a law that passed half year ago totaly prohibiting smoking in any public place that includes all Hotels, lodges, bars, restaurants, etc. Anywere on the premises (including open air) and does not allow for designated smoking rooms nor areas. The law even covers trails, gardens, etc. The fines are high, so I would be very surprised if the above properties still allow smoking and if people smoke it will be away from others. So I do not see this will be too much of an issue. Before smoking was comonplace in restaurants, bars, etc.

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
reviews: 9
2. Re: Wondering if smoking will be an issue (for non-smokers)

Really? Recent changes to the law mean that smoking is pretty much against the law everywhere!

Frisco, Colorado
reviews: 11
3. Re: Wondering if smoking will be an issue (for non-smokers)

I only recently saw that Hacienda Baru allowed smoking in their rooms, but perhaps that has changed since this seems to be a pretty comprehensive law. I'll look into it a little more. Thanks for your replies - perhaps it won't be an issue after all!

Chesapeake, Virginia
reviews: 110
4. Re: Wondering if smoking will be an issue (for non-smokers)

On the flip side, my husband IS a smoker (unfortunately). Are there designated places for him to smoke or do I need to bring lots of patches?

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
reviews: 9
5. Re: Wondering if smoking will be an issue (for non-smokers)

He'll be able to smoke outside of bars, hotels etc and the climate here means that isn't too much of a hardship! I don't think you'll find a real need for patches but maybe for emergencies.

Chesapeake, Virginia
reviews: 110
6. Re: Wondering if smoking will be an issue (for non-smokers)

Thanks Sara! I think I'll take a couple along just in case - wish he would give it up but it's up to him to do that.

Vancouver, BC
reviews: 8
7. Re: Wondering if smoking will be an issue (for non-smokers)

We are in Samara and still see smoking in restaurants...

Costa Rica
reviews: 26
8. Re: Wondering if smoking will be an issue (for non-smokers)

Just like everywhere else, not all laws are obeyed all the time.

If the smoking bothers you, be sure to say something. But I would imagine it's just restaurants trying to make their customers happy and not "make waves."

The point is -- it's illegal.

Barrie, Canada
reviews: 46
9. Re: Wondering if smoking will be an issue (for non-smokers)

I have been more than pleasantly surprised buy the level of compliance. I have not seen anyone smoking in a restaurant. The few I have seen smoking in public areas like around the pool were tourists who probably didn't know it was illegal.

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
reviews: 41
10. Re: Wondering if smoking will be an issue (for non-smokers)

In my area all bars and restaurants are enforcing the new laws. In my travels around the country I get the same vibe. IMO no worries at all.