We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

MA or Dominical or Uvita for 2nd half of trip?

Which Dominical hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Florida
reviews: 7
MA or Dominical or Uvita for 2nd half of trip?

I am having 2nd thoughts on staying in Manuel Antonia now since I'm reading it's very touristy. The first half of our trip is in Arenal area then south to MA. We will have a rental car. Our budget is $100-150. night and it looks like Dominical and Uvita is even more reasonable and not as touristy. We want to see wildlife, do some hiking, maybe snorkel and kayak or rafting. We like good food and don't mind driving. What are your thoughts? We live in Florida and it gets overrun with tourist half of the year so looking for a little more quiet, not that we don't love our tourist and their $$$! Any info is appreciated.

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
reviews: 9
1. Re: MA or Dominical or Uvita for 2nd half of trip?

From reading your thoughts, either Dominical or Uvita will suit you. Dominical is quite surfy but still pretty quiet. Uvita is beautiful. You'll have a great time!

Colorado
reviews: 11
2. Re: MA or Dominical or Uvita for 2nd half of trip?

La Cusinga ecolodge near Uvita has its own wildlife refuge and a nearly private beach and Hacienda Barú just north of Uvita the same. Great wildlife viewing and hiking/walking trails right out your door. Both are exceptionally quiet, beautiful and (other than the other 15-20 people staying there) tourist free.

Both are easy 5-15 minute drives to town, restaurants, bars etc.

reviews: 1
3. Re: MA or Dominical or Uvita for 2nd half of trip?

We rented a house for a week on homeaway in Baru which is near both Dominical and Uvita. Very reasonable and private. check that out as an option too.

Quepos, Costa Rica
reviews: 3
4. Re: MA or Dominical or Uvita for 2nd half of trip?

Hi Florida Girl,

I agree with Sara that Dominical is a surfer town for sure but it also has some good restaurants and entertainment. The Uvita area is my wife and I's favorite and also a lot more low-key. There are charming places to stay in the mountains overlooking the national park (whale tail) and you have the beaches practically to yourself. I would recommend staying somewhere along that stretch of road and driving to the nearby town of Ojochal for some top notch restaurants. Manuel Antonio is also only about an hour north, so if you do want to see the droves of monkeys in the park you could take a day trip up there.

Hope this helps, have a great time!

-Matt ( twoweeksincostarica.com)

Barrie, Canada
reviews: 43
5. Re: MA or Dominical or Uvita for 2nd half of trip?

While it is true that MA is more touristy than Dominical or Uvita , it cannot even be remotely compared to Florida in terms of level of development and volumes.

San Jose, Costa Rica
6. Re: MA or Dominical or Uvita for 2nd half of trip?

Agree with Cana Tico ..Carry on...valky and Sara...UVITA is waiting for you guys...check..Tikivillas...great lovely place...incredible nice people run the place!

roadadvisor

Florida
reviews: 7
7. Re: MA or Dominical or Uvita for 2nd half of trip?

Thank you for all the great information. I will check out Uvita as it sounds like someplace we would love!

8. Re: MA or Dominical or Uvita for 2nd half of trip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, November 01, 2013