We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coconut Grove for a week?

Which Dominical hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Frisco, Colorado
reviews: 12
Coconut Grove for a week?

We were already planning on staying at Hacienda Baru for four nights in early March, but have now decided to spend a whole week in Dominical to explore the surrounding area. The cabin we reserved is not available for the whole week, and we're trying to decide whether to split our time in two different accommodations, or to stay at Coconut Grove for the entire week instead. Thoughts?

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
1. Re: Coconut Grove for a week?

Check TIKIVILAS in Uvita...lovely place...

roadadvisor

Frisco, Colorado
2. Re: Coconut Grove for a week?

Hi RoadAdvisor - the problem with Tiki Villas for us is that we have a 9 year old, and I thought it was for adults only - Or is this incorrect?

Dominical
reviews: 2
3. Re: Coconut Grove for a week?

Coconut Grove is right on a beautiful beach and your daughter would have a great time there. They do have a lot of dogs, though. If your daughter is afraid of dogs it would not do. They have a really nice little house within a thirty second walk of the beach for less than $150/night (I believe.) I would certainly give it a shot. Tiki Villas as stated, is a very nice, elegant place but I think your daughter might enjoy the beach more.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
4. Re: Coconut Grove for a week?

I think you are correct...you can ask Thomas directly at Tikivillas...

roadadvsior

Frisco, Colorado
5. Re: Coconut Grove for a week?

Thanks for your reply Ticadonna! Actually, our 9 year old is a boy :-), but I believe you are right - I think he'll love Coconut Grove. We ended up booking 4 nights at Coconut Grove and 3 at Hacienda Baru, just to experience the ecolodge/wildlife refuge there. Prices at both were extremely reasonable - under $100/night! We're fine with dogs. We have to leave ours at home, so we'll be happy to have them around. Between the beach, rainforest, Hacienda Baru's ziplines and wildlife, and a day trip to Corcovado, I think we'll find plenty to do - and I plan to do a lot of yoga and relaxing!!!

RoadAdvisor - thanks for your reply as well. Tiki Villas looks wonderful, but probably not a good fit this trip. Maybe someday....

Hastings, Minnesota
6. Re: Coconut Grove for a week?

We are staying at Coconut Grove for 14 days this Feb. This will be our 7th time there. It is absolutely magical, serine, and a great location for taking day trips up and down the coast. A rental 4x4 is advised.

I thought their website stated they allow children 10 and up. You may want to verify this.

The owners are a wonderful sourse for day trips and restaurant ideas. Baru is a great location also.

Hastings, Minnesota
7. Re: Coconut Grove for a week?

We are staying at Coconut Grove for 14 days this Feb. This will be our 7th time there. It is absolutely magical, serine, and a great location for taking day trips up and down the coast. A rental 4x4 is advised.

I thought their website stated they allow children 10 and up. You may want to verify this.

The owners are a wonderful sourse for day trips and restaurant ideas. Baru is a great location also.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
8. Re: Coconut Grove for a week?

You are WELCOME

roadadvsior

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 137
9. Re: Coconut Grove for a week?

Richards dogs at Coconut Grove are all pretty mellow, they are Great Danes, and keep to the house, but bark when people enter the drive. That house on the beach is a steal. Next door at Costa Parriaso is also very nice, just remodeled it in 2010.

Head up and see Denny at Belle Vista Lodge, horseback to the watefalls and have a sunset family style dinner high above the Pacific in a open kitchen, great views to Isla Cano and even southern Nicoya...

Edited: 9:56 pm, January 07, 2013
Frisco, Colorado
10. Re: Coconut Grove for a week?

Just thought I'd report back that we ended up booking the large house at Coconut Grove for the entire week because the reviews are so incredible. I believe the owners made an exception for our 9 year old, which they won't regret - he's a very mature 9 year old :-)

We're still looking forward to doing a day trip to Hacienda Baru. It looks wonderful as well, but the house by the beach beckons....

Will report back when we return - I've received so much great advice, that I hope I can give some in return!