We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fitness While Vacationing in Dominical

Which Dominical hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Frankfort, Kentucky
Fitness While Vacationing in Dominical

My husband and I will be visiting the Dominical area next month. I'll be in the middle of training for a half marathon race. I prefer to run outdoors rather than a treadmill, but is it safe for runners on the roadways?

We plan to be active (hiking, diving, etc.) during our trip, but I'd like to (at least) get in my long run for the week (5-6 miles).

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
reviews: 36
1. Re: Fitness While Vacationing in Dominical

I would e careful in general running on the roads here. There are not really any shoulders and that makes it bit dangerous. Running on the beach is all good though, and I imagine running in sand is good exercise. As for running 5 or 6 miles do be careful if you do this on the roads.

Cheers

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle, Washington
reviews: 7
2. Re: Fitness While Vacationing in Dominical

I've never been to Dominical (or run a marathon for that matter!), but I have run in quite a few different places around CR. Run early in the day as it will be hot & humid at the beach. Do only run during daylight hours as there are few if any street lights.

Incabod is right - most roads do not have shoulders to get you out of the path of vehicles. Run on the beach if you can. Be prepared for sand fleas/mites & mosquitoes (especially at dawn & at dusk).

Lutz, FL
reviews: 46
3. Re: Fitness While Vacationing in Dominical

Glad you posted this! Hubby and I will be visiting as well next month also. I am training for my first marathon in October and was hoping to get a long run in while I was there but was wondering how safe it would be to do....running on the beach could be a fun alternative to all of the road running done here at home!

P.S. Good luck with your first half! They're a lot of fun to do!!

Uvita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Uvita, Ojochal
reviews: 26
4. Re: Fitness While Vacationing in Dominical

The best place to run would be on the beach Dominical or head to Playa Hermosa, during low tide. As described above the main highway would not be my choice as trucks pass by qickly though I do see people jogging. Also in Uvita there is a gym with tred mills you can use and pay on a dayly basis. The gym is located at the syntetic soccer field in Uvita town about 15 min drive from Dominical.

Dominical, Costa...
reviews: 11
5. Re: Fitness While Vacationing in Dominical

I am resurrecting this topic for the benefit of future visitors to the area that enjoy running, walking (hiking). As a serious and avid runner for many years (raced 24 marathons including Boston several times plus lots of mountain long distance runs) throughout North America. I live in Dominical most of the year with homes in Colorado and Alaska and was quick to learn that running in the tropics has its advantages and disadvantages. My wife, Deb, and I created the first 5K /10K Race Walk in the Southern Zone (Dominical to Ojochal) 6 years ago which incorporates all the elements of our area -the beach, mountains, rivers, jungle and a village with the 10K having a lot of elevation gain for about 2.5 Km. It has become a healthy event that is enjoyed by the Costa Ricans, local foreigners and visitors to our area plus benefits the Dominical Lifeguards, a local public elementary school and a dog rescue organization. The last 5 years the race has been in March but we are thinking of changing it in 2014 to February so it can become a pre-training race for the Chirripo Race (the highest mountain in Costa Rica). If there is any interest in this subject I will be glad to share some of my favorite places to run throughout the area and tips to make sure your running experience is a good one while you are here.

Port Hope Ontario
reviews: 10
6. Re: Fitness While Vacationing in Dominical

Dominical Dave, I am very interested in your event!I will be in Costa Rica for 3 months(Ojochal) beginning January 1st, and would love to get more info from you. Sounds fabulous! Pls send any info you have to Sandy at segal@eagle.ca. Thanks!

Binghamton, New York
reviews: 8
7. Re: Fitness While Vacationing in Dominical

I will be in Dominical from 7/13- 7/20 and my daughters and we all need to do long runs. What are your suggestions ? Thanks so much!!

Ann Marie Faughnan

Dominical, Costa...
reviews: 11
8. Re: Fitness While Vacationing in Dominical

Ann Marie, As a marathon runner my definition of a long run is 15 mies or longer so I will answer this a couple of ways. Due to the terrain in the Dominical area being so steep, I do most of my long runs on a couple of beaches which are flat and hard packed around 90 minutes (or a little more) either side of low tide. It is a good firm surface and even great for riding bikes. Parking at either Playa Hermosa and running to the south until you reach the river and back is about 5 mies long which you can do a couple of times or more to get the milage you want. Another favorite beach to run is Playa Baru just north of the Baru River. Park at the end of the road at he beach that is beyond the entrance as the Hacienda Baru Reserve. You can run both directions until you reach rivers and time your runs for the length you want. Running to the north is better and further. There is a road just about 20 feet inland from the beach that you can run on if you want some shade that is hard sand which makes for a scenic run too. The costal highway is the other place I run early in the morning when there is little traffic and you can start anywhere between Dominical and Uvita which is about 14 Km so you can run as far (and back) as you want. However, with the three of you, I would suggest that you park by BCR at the Pacific Plaza in Dominical and run across the river to the new highway that has a nice wide shoulder. I have been running along the highway for years and never had a problem despite the reputation of the drivers in Costa Rica. Expect the a few drivers to honk because you are female. One last place is to park at BCR and cross the highway and run to the main street of Dominical but turn right and run the dirt road that goes under the bridge and along the Rio Baru for as far as you can. It has lots of shade even later in the day and makes for a nice off the beaten path run. Enjoy.

Binghamton, New York
reviews: 8
9. Re: Fitness While Vacationing in Dominical

Thank you so much Dave!!! I really appreciate all this information . I have to do a 14 miler yes I agree long runs are anything over a half marathon !!! I'm training for the NYC Marathon and Steamtown in Scranton, PA. I also responded to your other post! I so appreciate your help!! Runners are the best !!

10. Re: Fitness While Vacationing in Dominical

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 08, 2014