We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Costa Paraiso or Coconut Grove? And...cab/transport info?

Which Dominical hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Fort Collins...
reviews: 45
Costa Paraiso or Coconut Grove? And...cab/transport info?

Hi. I’ve been researching a trip (for next summer – we just got back from La Fortuna and Mal Pais)…we want to see more of beautiful Costa Rica. We’re thinking of going to Punta Uva (south of Puerto Viejo) and staying at the Korrigan Lodge first. Then traveling over to the southern pacific side to stay somewhere around the Dominical and/or Uvita area. I would really like to stay within walking distance to the beach. I was looking at Costa Paraiso or Coconut Grove Cottages as a good possibility.

From what I can tell online they both appear to be located oceanfront, although with lots of rocks – is that correct? So you could maybe explore around front, but not really swim – correct? Can you walk down the shoreline to get to Dominicalito (from my understanding this is a good swim beach)? If so…about how far is the walk? Can anyone tell me why one of these hotels might be better than the other and/or if there’s some place else we should consider?

I think we will take a private transport to get from Punta Uva to this area, as we will not have a car while in the Punta Uva area. I really don’t want to rent a car unless we absolutely have to while staying here. The activities we were hoping to do were: zip lines at Hacienda Baru, Park Reptilandia, Nauyaca Waterfalls/Horseback Ride and maybe some kind of waterfall trek with Tree of Life tours. Does anyone know if they offer transportation to/from any of these places? In La Fortuna all of the companies would just pick us up at our hotel. I wasn’t sure if they do that same type of thing here or not? Or would cab rides to/from these places be reasonable (anyone know the approximate cost for these locations?)?

Thanks for the info!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
1. Re: Costa Paraiso or Coconut Grove? And...cab/transport info?

Dear NIcole...if you can rent a car to travel between Punta Uva and Dominical almost sure is going to be cheaper one way car than a private service...

roadadvisor

Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
reviews: 2
2. Re: Costa Paraiso or Coconut Grove? And...cab/transport info?

I've stayed at one of the cottages at Coconut Grove. Really enjoyed my stay there, the owners/managers are really nice. But there are some things you should know.

First, the cottages are very, very small. Pictures on the web site makes them look bigger than they are. Don't get me wrong, they are okay for a couple people, but just know they are small. Have not seen Costa Paraiso in person, but it looks like their rooms are more spacious, if that matters to you.

Second, Coconut Grove does not have a restaurant all, so unless you plan on cooking, you'll have to go off the property...probably 5-10 minutes to a restaurant. If you do plan on cooking, make sure it's simple meals as the kitchens are small too. Costa Paraiso has a restaurant.

Three, you can actually walk on a sand beach at Coconut Grove for quite a ways and although I didn't swim while there, looks like it would be okay right there in front or close by. Again, I've not been there personally, but web pictures look like it's all rocks at Costa, and people who have reviewed the property say there is no swimming there.

Four, the pool at Coconut Grove has no shade and the water was quite warm while I was there. Costa has a partly shaded pool.

So between these two properties, you will have to decide which is better for you, restaurant / no restaurant, swimming and sand beach or not, etc.

Hope this helps!

Fort Collins...
3. Re: Costa Paraiso or Coconut Grove? And...cab/transport info?

Allyam - Thank you so much for your response! That's exactly the type of information I'm looking for. If we have to walk a bit to get to a swimable beach, that's not a big deal. I was just wondering how close it was to Costa Paraiso. It says on their website that they sit on the "north end of Playa Dominicalito" where it's "good for beginner surfing" - so I was wondering how far it was to walk to a good swimable spot.

We stayed in Mal Pais at La Hacienda and loved it. It was on the outskirts of Mal Pais and we liked it that way, as it was much quieter than in town. It was a small boutique hotel with only 5 total rooms. They had a nice pool, it was across the street from the ocean (although - rocky, you had to walk 20 minutes or so for beach to swim), they did not have a restaurant, but there was a delicious soda down the street about a 10 minute walk. This was the review I wrote: tripadvisor.com/…CHECK_RATES_CONT I would love to find a place similar to this. I think Costa Paraiso looks pretty cool. The only thing is that it's a lot more money than where we stayed in La Hacienda. It was $55/night (taxes included). It looks like Costa Paraiso is $99 plus taxes for the time we'd be there. I'm wondering if most accommodations are around $99+ in this particular are of CR? It seems like most that I've looked at are in this range.

Fort Collins...
4. Re: Costa Paraiso or Coconut Grove? And...cab/transport info?

Roadadvisor - yes, that's probably true about it being cheaper...but I'd rather have someone who knows the area drive me! On our last trip we took a private transport from SJ to La Fortuna, did not have a car in La Fortuna - just took a couple of cabs when we needed, took a private transport from La Fortuna to Mal Pais, rented a quad for the week in MP and then did a private transport from MP back to SJ. When I compared that to a rental car it was pretty close in price and we didn't have to worry a single thing about getting to our locations - which I liked! I was trying to do that again on this trip. However, I heard that quads are not big in the Dominical area, due to a busier road....and I didn't really want to rent a car, due to more expensive hotels and also just the hassle of a car. I've heard so many stories about cars getting broken into that it just doesn't seem worth it to me to rent one. I'd rather just get a cab if needed. I have not checked into the cost or time from Punta Uva to Dominical. Do you have any idea on how much you think it would cost and/or about how long it would take to get there?

Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
reviews: 2
5. Re: Costa Paraiso or Coconut Grove? And...cab/transport info?

Small world! I've stayed at La Hacienda too! Loved the pool, small but so pretty. We had the first room on the left after passing through the big doors. It was great as it could sleep 4 people and you could still breathe!

Have you read the reviews for Costa on TA? You can learn a lot that way and I think I read that it's about a 10 minute walk to a good swimming beach.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
6. Re: Costa Paraiso or Coconut Grove? And...cab/transport info?

Dear Nicole...

Thank you for your niuce answer and also your nice question about driving from Punta Uva Talamanca to Dominical...

You have to drive all the way back to San Jose...and take 27 all the way to Orotina...then 34 all the way to Dominical...total driving time...is about 7.5 hours to 8 hours...

Nicole I based my estimated driving times...in my well 45 years experience drivng around my country...sorry if my times are not as some links...or somebody else...I like to give honest advice...not looking for 3 seconds of fame...or start the third world with some people!!

roadadvisor

7. Re: Costa Paraiso or Coconut Grove? And...cab/transport info?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, August 21, 2013