We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Southern Expeditions Dominical Costa Rica

Which Dominical hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 2
Southern Expeditions Dominical Costa Rica

Can't believe there isn't more written on Southern Expeditions. They should be #1 for great adventures in the Dominical to Corcovado area. We did a day trip with this company to Corcovado Park. The tour started at 6:30. We were picked up promptly in a modern bus and drove to Sierpe where we transfered to a boat for a 40 minute ride down the river. After this we reached the open ocean, crossed a few waves and spent another 40 minutes in what was a beautiful trip close to an amazing shoreline. We arrived at San P. ranger station and from there did a 3 hour hike. The return trip was done in reverse with a side trip along the mangroves to see monkeys and crocadiles. Corcovado park was beautiful and unlike any other area we saw in CR. A true gem!

The guides were professional, knowledgeable and had a true passion for nature and the environment. It was the best value of any tours we took in CR and I would highly recommend it. What a great day to have for the last day of our 2 week trip. Truly a highlight!

Dominical
11. Re: Southern Expeditions Dominical Costa Rica

We have been working with Perla del Sur out of Sierrpe since Southern Expeditions disappointed us and our guests in many ways. We would be happy to assist you in getting in touch with them. I don't think they speak English, however. Let me know and we can set up your trip.

Tamarindo, Costa...
12. Re: Southern Expeditions Dominical Costa Rica

I have been working with Southern Expeditions for years- and they have always provided a quality tour/adventure for myself or my guests. They havent gone out of business, rather, have just relocated to be closer to Sierpe. Their website is still up and running www.southernexpeditionscr.com . some friends of mine just did the Cano island tour with them and had a blast!

Uvita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Uvita, Ojochal
reviews: 26
13. Re: Southern Expeditions Dominical Costa Rica

Southern Exeditions do not run their own tours anymore but rather act as an agency (ie rebook you with a third party like Bahia Adventures, Perla Del Sur, Dolphin Tours, etc). I agree with Ticadona about Perla del Sur have been great they operate out of Sierpe but offer the option of a shuttle pick up at the hotel for $10 more, their Corcovado or Caño tours are $85pp inc lunch and do not have the 4 min requirement many others do, Perla del Sur website is here: www.perladelsur.net

Also if you look at this TA article it lists most tour websites that service Uvita, Dominical and Ojochal (all these do their own tours):

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g635755-s4/Uvita:Cost…

Edited: 10:05 am, February 21, 2013
Dominical
14. Re: Southern Expeditions Dominical Costa Rica

Thanks for the website, Thomas C. I did not realize one could book online and in English as we have always dealt with Jorge speaking Spanish. Great information for those coming to the Ballena Coast.

UK
reviews: 5
15. Re: Southern Expeditions Dominical Costa Rica

I have just got back from CR and had booked Southern Expeditions for the Cano Island Trip and Corcovado. I would avoid this company. Everything in our 14 day itinerary ran smoothly and professionally until this company were involved.

Southern Expeditions

The tour company we used for our two week holiday used southern expeditions for two of our tours. Our holiday ran smoothly and to plan until Southern Expeditions were involved. We got up at 530 to get ready and have breakfast for them to pick us up at 630am to go on their Corcovado tour. Me, my husband and my 10 year old daughter waited till 7pm and they hadn't turned up. At this point out hotel contacted out tour operator who contacted Southern Expeditions to find out where they were. It took till around 8pm to get a response. We were told that they had had a problem with the transport - a problem with one of the tyres and they would be with us shortly. So we continued to wait at the reception of our hotel ..... And we waited, and we waited. Our hotel called them again and we were told that they would be with us within 10 minutes. So we waited and we waited. Then they call the hotel and say they are not coming - this is at about 10am. They then call me and apologise advising that they had had a problem with one of their tyres. I asked why they didnt bother to phone the hotel so we could be advised. They said the driver couldnt get a signal on his phone. This is a complete lie - mobile phones work here fine. Our hotel agreed that we were being fobbed off. We were also due to arrive at their boat pick up point at 730 - so they would have known there was a problem by this time when we didnt arrive. By way of an apology they offered us a boat trip in the afternoon so we went on that. It was the worst boat trip I have ever been on. Three and a half hours of speeding around the sea in extreme heat looking for dolphins. The boat had roof cover but the sun came underneath and were weren't allowed to move due to the weight distribution on the boat (it was a very small boat). I ended up extremely sunburnt and wished I hadn't bothered going. They rescheduled our trip to Corcovado for the following day (we had the Cano Island trip booked with them also). At about 8pm i got a message to say we couldn't go to Corcovado the next day, but we could do the Cano Island trip with Corcovado the following day. We were completely messed around all day by Southern Expeditions and when I talked to them on the phone they said. ' We've worked hard all day sorting things for you' like it was me being the problem. I thought what a complete cheek - if they had picked us up when they were suppose to and not forgotten to we wouldn't have had any problems. My advise is to avoid Southern Expeditions. Our tour company used quite a few companies for the itinerary we wanted. All were fine. Southern Expeditions created problems for us and just came up with excuses.

On their trips.

Cano Island. They picked us up at 630 for an hours transfer to where the boat was. We then waited a further our in the cafe they dropped us at. So I'm not sure why they needed to pick us up so early...... Unless its just to get you to hang around in a cafe that is also a souvenir shop. Despite what may be advertised, there is nothing to see in the Mangroves. It's a very boring 45 minutes speeding through the mangroves. They advise that on the way back they will go slower and take you to a location where they regularly see wild life. This doesn't happen, though to be honest I was pleased as this would have just increased the boat travel time. They may slow the boat for a few minutes (to see nothing) buts that's all you'll get. Then there is another 45 minutes across the open sea. It's all sounds very nice when you read about Cano island Trips. However the reality is, you transfer by car (an hour for us)' hang about in a cafe for anther hour, speed through the mangroves and open sea for an hour an a half. Then you do get some decent snorkelling in two locations and a nice lunch. Then you have to do all the above travelling again. It's not worth the time or the money.

Corcovado Trip

We cancelled this trip in the end as we did not want to waste anymore of our holiday waiting around. The travel time and boat travel time is the same as Cano island. We were also told by people that had done this trip on the day we did Cano island (we were on the same bus) that they'd seen more wildlife at their hotels and Corcovado is nothing like it is advertised in terms of wildlife. I may have lost my money for this trip but I'm glad I didn't go as the travelling was the same as Cano Island and it sounded about as interesting!!

Fort Lauderdale...
16. Re: Southern Expeditions Dominical Costa Rica

I have contacted Southern Expeditions about this- as this is highly uncharacteristic of them. They have been in business over 15 years and have done these tours hundreds of times.

Their response was that they never heard of this tour group or this reviewer- and think that its ether a 'fake' negative report by one of the other tour operators- or they have reviewed the wrong tour company.

The comment about their being more wildlife at the hotels than at Corcovado is so absurd that it defies logic. I have gone to Corcovado BOTH with Southern Expeditions and also, later on, myself as self guided adventure- and can ASSURE you that there are more animals and birds in an average 2-3 day excursion than you will see in a lifetime elsewhere.

AND because the Costa Rica government has done a good job of preserving ' natures last stand' I have seen only a SLIGHT reduction of animals and birds there over the last 10 years- i would say you can still see 90% of the wildlife in Corcovado- that we saw 10 years ago.

Did you really go on this tour????

Edited: 9:55 pm, March 07, 2013
UK
reviews: 5
17. Re: Southern Expeditions Dominical Costa Rica

Please note all of my reviews are honest experiences. people can check my orevious comments about other holidays to see that. What the other comment has said is a complete lie. I have booking confirmation evidence. I think the post above is someone from Southern Expeditions. And confirms the dishonesty of the post. I have lots of email correspondence from my tour operator to me while I was there that confirms my tour was with them. A contact name and mobile number for the person from Southern Expeditions that called me. If there are further posts from the person above trying to discredite the information I have provided I will take further action. In fact if there are further posts saying that I am lying I will change my profile photo to either a booking confirmation I have with their name on or an email that confirms they were providing the tours so everyone can see who is providing accurate information. I can also submit evidence to Tripadvisor showing them that they were the company that provided these tours. Beware people the person that has contacted them, is them. What normal member of the public would contact them and then post saying my comment is inaccurate. I will be watching this thread very closely.

Los Angeles...
18. Re: Southern Expeditions Dominical Costa Rica

@Surfer02025 - I just sent an email to the Southern Expeditions website www.southernexpeditionscr.com and received an email back from Sue arranging a tour to Corcovado and Drakes Bay. Is there a particularly reason that you think the company is out of business as I want to be sure I am doing my due diligence and this isn't a subsidiary company responding.?

Los Angeles...
19. Re: Southern Expeditions Dominical Costa Rica

Surfer02025 - I just sent an email to the Southern Expeditions website and received an email back from Sue arranging a tour to Corcovado and Drakes Bay. Is there a particularly reason that you think the company is out of business as I want to be sure I am doing my due diligence and this isn't a subsidiary company responding.?

Fort Lauderdale...
20. Re: Southern Expeditions Dominical Costa Rica

Keep in mind that there are many moving pieces to a complex tour package and tour operators and agents often do not physcially do everything themselves- often they just put all the pieces together for you- saving you days of research and phone calls then surpirses when you are on the ground, ready to start the excursion. I know Sue very well, as a matter of fact and know that she diligently works for the client to get them the best possible price and experience- whether she or her company actually performs each service themselves or uses other operators that they have worked with and can vouche for- to me is irrelevant. All I care about is a wonderful experience- with no surprises- and they consistantly deliever this to me and my friends.