We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is Surprise like ??

Which Surprise hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Darwen, United...
reviews: 14
What is Surprise like ??

We are thinking of booking a house in Surprise, Arizona next year for a month (Jun 12 to Jul 12) as a family holiday. Can anyone tell me what sort of area this is ???, Is it safe ???. Are there plenty of restaurants etc nearby ????. Also, having just seen footage of the dust cloud, what sort of weather can we expect around June/July time. Thanks in advance.

12 replies to this topic
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
reviews: 119
1. Re: What is Surprise like ??

Surprise is a newer bedroom community on the northwest side of PHX. You'll find a full array of residential businesses and services in the area. As a tourist destination it benefits during baseball spring training season. Many people invested in homes there as the housing industry came to a halt. Hence a fairly large number of rental homes and foreclosures .

June and July will quite simply be HOT. The recent dust storm was a rarity but always possible. The norm is hot sunny days with temps in the 110+ range and remote chances of brief afternoon thunderstorms.

Most residents who have the time and budget try to escape PHX, Surprise and surrounds in the summer to find cooler temps in the high country of northern AZ or beyond.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
reviews: 58
2. Re: What is Surprise like ??

A large boring suburb on the NW edge of Phoenix. Yes, safe. Yes, restaurants.

June/July weather is very hot; in excess of 100 F (38 C) almost every day, and often 110-115 F (45-47 C). The dust cloud was an unusual and unique event never seen before of that scale. It was not a sandstorm as stated by CNN and BBC news. Watch the weather now and you'll have a good idea what it will be like.

Rains begin typically mid-June. They are usually late afternoon, brief and furious often with high winds. Sometimes they are preceded by blowing dust (seldom with anything like the dust cloud).

Since you have a year to plan, rethink this plan. Investigate Sedona or Flagstaff. There is also the high country area of Pinetop/Lakeside. And even completely different locations than Arizona.

A month in the low desert in the summer heat will offer little for you to do outside. Frankly I wouldn't trade Darwen weather for Phoenix weather except in the winter. You're 15-20 C tomorrow. Phoenix will be 43 C today and tomorrow with late storms.

Edited: 1:37 pm, July 09, 2011
Mesa, Arizona
reviews: 7
3. Re: What is Surprise like ??

miserable hot. Be sure wherever you rent has a pool. As an example, the temp today in PHX will be at least 102F. July 23 is forecast for high of 105F but the record for the 23rd is 115F

Phoenix
reviews: 2
4. Re: What is Surprise like ??

Why if I may ask would you want to rent anything in Phx in June for a month? If you are lucky June 12 to 24th may still be reasonable in the early morning and late evening. After that extremely hot and yes humid ..not much to do outside due to the temps... Surprise is nothing to get excited about 20-25 min drive to downtown say to see the Diamondbacks no real restuarants except your chains...not entertainment or real shopping either. If Phx is your destination regardless then look for house rentals in Scottsdale--- Tempe-- Cave Creeek-- Carefree.. much more to do within a ten-15 min drive Cave Creek- Carefree Fountain Hills 5 degrees cooler maybe but much better views nicer neighborhoods...

Tempe, AZ
reviews: 4
5. Re: What is Surprise like ??

I'd stay elsewhere. It's a suburb like most others next to a couple retirement communities. Not much going on out there.

USA
reviews: 26
6. Re: What is Surprise like ??

This place is probably one of the worst places I have ever stayed (for a temp job). I thought the house I was in was in a good area, and it is safe, however, you can hear the trains go by just a few blocks away, in the middle of the night; and if you are at home on a week day(now), it feels like an Air Force jet could crash into your residence any moment. What do they fly over 300 sorties per day? I have lived on a military jet base and never heard that much air traffic in my whole life! And they say this area is a dry heat.....oh sure, just tell your air conditioner that! Here it is in early October and still near or over 100 degrees. There are some good restaurants and the weather will get better for the winter, just watch out for those Chicago snow birds rapidly returning to take over the roads, restaurants, and shopping malls. Too funny to pass hot rod cars and motorcycles and see grandpa at the controls, but the money is plentiful.

Edited: 3:07 pm, October 03, 2011
Mesa, Arizona
reviews: 7
7. Re: What is Surprise like ??

What about the Sedona area?

Longview, Washington
Destination Expert
for Mount Rainier National Park
reviews: 90
8. Re: What is Surprise like ??

Karenjme - Sedona is beautiful, usually cooler than Phoenix, both summer and winter. However, I have been in Sedona in June when it was 104º, but it was 112º in Phoenix. Sedona is generally more expensive.

Morris County, NJ
reviews: 744
9. Re: What is Surprise like ??

Suprise is near Luke Air Force Base which is the main training center for F-16's in the US. Besides the USAF, other countries train there too. That could account for the large number of sorties that people hear.

Alaska
reviews: 25
10. Re: What is Surprise like ??

I don't know what its like in June but we had a great time in March, Spring Training, warm weather, pools, White Tank Mountians, Jerome and Sedona.

:-) Benny

Reply to: What is Surprise like ??
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Surprise
More Surprise Topics