We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Life In Surprise

Which Surprise hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
St. George, Utah
reviews: 9
Life In Surprise

We are thinking about relocating to Surprise, Az. within the next 6 months. We can't take much more of the cold, damp, humid Pittsburgh winters.

The condo prices seem extremely low and I'm wondering if there are problems I'm not aware of - like high crime or water problems....or I don't know what else....I am looking at condo's on N. 142nd Avenue and W. Mountain View Blvd. My husband is 66 and retired and I am 55. We love the west and visit the Grand Canyon and Vegas regularly. We also enjoy Sedona and Cottonwood and Camp Verde areas. Is Surprise similar to this part of Arizona?

We like the idea of being close to an international airport like Phoenix without living in a large city.

Thanks for any help or suggestions. We are planning a week's visit to look at the condo's later this fall.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
reviews: 129
1. Re: Life In Surprise

Surprise is a suburb of PHX. It is more like a newer part of a big city than Sedona or Cottonwood or points north that you mentioned.

You should contact a realtor. This post will probably be removed by TripAdvisor.

St. George, Utah
2. Re: Life In Surprise

Thanks RedRox. We have a realator but something just doesn't seem right since the prices are so low.

Why will this be removed? Aren't we permitted to mention exact streets or towns? Just wondering....

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
reviews: 129
3. Re: Life In Surprise

TA is a travel website. Your post is a relocation question and not consistent with TA guidelines.

St. George, Utah
4. Re: Life In Surprise

Ok, I understand, thanks.

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
reviews: 98
5. Re: Life In Surprise

Try the Phoenix forum on city-data.com.

I will say that the West Valley is generally regarded as not as desirable as the East Valley and, thus, it's not as developed as the East Valley. There's nothing particularly wrong with Surprise though.

Also, Surprise is not similar to Sedona or even Camp Verde. Sedona is at 4,500' while the Phoenix area is at about 1,500'. This changes both the climate and vegetation. Also, most of the Phoenix area is flat while the areas you mentioned are hilly.

hth

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
reviews: 13
6. Re: Life In Surprise

Come out and visit Surprise. Then you might understand why the prices are so low.

Phoenix
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
reviews: 170
7. Re: Life In Surprise

You might be interested in one of the Del Webb Sun City developments on the west side. Do an internet search. There are many activities associated with those developments that might interest you.

I wouldn't even consider living in a condo in Surprise. You'd be moving to a different kind of misery - boredom.

Surprise, AZ
reviews: 1
8. Re: Life In Surprise

We (I'm 66-wife 53) love the West Valley. It's the East Valley without the 'tude and traffic. We have a home in Prescott and have lived in Cottonwood and Sedona and find that it is too cold in these areas in the winter. We were surprised (no pun intended) to find Surprise was a progressive city with a high level of services for seniors with lots to see and do. When it's time to visit the mountains it's a easy stress-less trip up and around the gridlock on the lightly traveled 303 rather than the traffic choked 101 to 17 trip we used to take to escape the East Valley. Early morning trips to the Sky Harbor Airport are 30 - 45 minutes or less with planning..

For the most part Surprise is fresh and new with plenty of convenience and. as you have noticed, low priced real estate. The prices you see more reflect overbuilding in slow economy rather than homes and condos in an undesirable area. Come visit for awhile. You'll love it. Find a quiet retreat at the brand new Holiday Inn Express on West Bell. We did and purchased some bargain RE on our first trip. A year later we're glad we did

Scottsdale, Arizona
reviews: 8
9. Re: Life In Surprise

well the only thing about surprise it's in the middle of nowhere, a good half hour from the west valley of phoenix, the nicer parts of phoenix are east and central/downtown. it lacks authentic restaurants (ie only chilli's, applebees etc), if that stuff doesnt bother you i guess your okay, but if you're looking for a unique western town and find yourself in a boring land of stripmalls - SURPRISE!!! Lol... hey check out tempe scottsdale, and north phoenix before you committ.

Mesa, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tempe
reviews: 75
10. Re: Life In Surprise

You should post your question on the CityData Phoenix forum.

Get answers to your questions about Surprise