We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chinle to Scottsdale - which route

Which Show Low hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sheffield, United...
reviews: 86
Chinle to Scottsdale - which route

Planning our Arizona itinerary from Chinle to Scottsdale, google maps gives I40 to Flagstaff and I17 to Scottsdale.

I would prefer something more scenic and thought about Highway 60 to Show Low then to Scottsdale. We would not be driving the whole journey in one day, but would break our journey with an overnight stop somewhere. I thought Show Low may be a good place, but my husband does not want to drive on too many winding mountain roads. (I may not even get him up Moki Dugway when he sees it).

Has anyone any advice on which route to take to Scottsdale from Chinle.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 42
1. Re: Chinle to Scottsdale - which route

Hi Angela.

Moki Dugway....winding roads...well..

Show Low is a good choise although we stayed in Pinetop in the forest. Lovely place. The road from Show Low to Globe is slow and winding at many places with great view points (Salt River Canyon). Imo the most scenic drive towards Scottsdale. You can drive from Globe to Superior and Apache Jct. Also a nice drive. In Apache Jct you might visit Gold Field ghosttown. There's an even more beautiful stretch to Lake Roosevelt and the Apache Trail to Apache junction from Globe (az88) but for someone who hates winding roads, this is not the best route. Don't forget to visit Painted Desert and Petrified Forest NP before your Show Low stay.

Have fun

Tet

Southwest
reviews: 25
2. Re: Chinle to Scottsdale - which route

The stretch on Highway 77 from Holbrook through Snowflake/Taylor and into Showlow is fairly straight and predictable. From Holbrook south into Snowflake can be a lonely drive as their is nothing immediate to witness aside from distant thunder clouds particularly late in the afternoon as the sky can be soo dramatic. If your not in a hurry, you could find yourself in a row of vehicles behind a big rig or an RV.

Once your into Showlow and out particularly continuing on 77, it is not for another estimated 30 miles before you begin to come across windy roads, declines and inclines. This is just before you reach Highway 73 (Fort Apache/WhiteRIver Road). After which, and through Carizzo, AZ, the road begin to twist and turn, HOWEVER, it is compensated with nice views. Traffic can be slow at times particularly again if your caught behind an RV or a big rig.

Once your through the Salt River Canyon, the roads will not be as windy. In summary, the highway between Showlow and Globe is very scenic and worthwhile if you can stand certain portions that are windy and some slow traffic.

Otherwise, on highway 377 into and through Payson, the flow of roads is fairly predictable but again, particularly below the Mogollon Rim, the roads can be windy, yet there are 4-lane roads below most of the way into Payson, traffic will be somewhat slow, just before your reach Payson. Once into and out of Payson, the roads are 4-lanes into Paradise Valley/Scottsdale. Traffic can be fairly fast leaving Payson. Of course, the time to reach Scottsdale will be much more faster too.

Sheffield, United...
reviews: 86
3. Re: Chinle to Scottsdale - which route

Hi Tet and TomSwyr

Thanks very much for the information - I think we will go that way and risk the traffic. We don't mind travelling slow if we are compensated with beautiful scenery.

My husband is not a total wuss and has driven some harrowing routes, but prefers not to.

Our first week will be spent in Sedona, and I have reservations for a Pink Jeep Tour and the Verde Railroad then we head to Monument Valley and on to Canyon de Chelly (we have visited Grand Canyon on a previous trip so are leaving it out this time). We do hope to visit Pretrified Forest and Painted Desert as well as Goosenecks SP and Four Corners time permitting.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
reviews: 30
4. Re: Chinle to Scottsdale - which route

We drive Hwy 260 west from Show Low to Payson then south on 87. It is good two or four lane road all the way to Payson with just a few miles of curves on the 2 lane section outside of Payson. Then 87 is 4 lane all the way into Fountain Hills. You'll take a right on Shea Blvd. that will take you into Scottsdale. You'll avoid the traffic on 60 coming into town through Mesa this way.

The scenery is pine forest all the way to Payson. From Payson south you will go from forest to high desert to the Sonoran Desert all in about 80 miles. There are curves in the road but it's 4 lane and the speed limit is 65.

The whole trip will take 3 hours. Stop for a great hamburger at Mackey's Grill in Payson!!! Or take the Christopher Creek bypass and eat at the Creekside Lodge.

5. Re: Chinle to Scottsdale - which route

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:19 am, September 06, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Show Low