We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family vacation to Sedona Mar 31-Hoping for local advice

Which Sedona hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sacramento
Family vacation to Sedona Mar 31-Hoping for local advice

We are planning a mini family reunion / vacation to Sedona in late March and early April. None of us have ever been to Arizona and are traveling from Toronto Canada and Northern California.

We are just starting our research and Trip Advisor has always been a great resource in the past. Could anyone provide us with some local advice about:

GOLFING (of course) - we don't necessarily need to play PGA tour caliber courses but love tracks with great scenery and surroundings

VORTEXES - we have heard a ton about them and wondeirng if there are any must see places that can't be found in tour guides

places to watch the sunset - there will be two 5 month old babies in our group so unfortunately we can't take on any stressful hikes but would like to find a few places that really capture teh beauty of the red rocks and landscape

RESTAURANTS - we love to support local / independent establishments and enjoy seafood, BBQ, Thai, Sushi, just about any type of food.

I know this is a lot to ask for but any advice or recommendations you could provide would be great. When we travel we much prefer seeing things off the beaten track and experience the area as a resident rather than a tourist.

Thanks very much for your time and thoughts!

Josh

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
reviews: 144
1. Re: Family vacation to Sedona Mar 31-Hoping for local advice

You/ve chosen a great place to spend time with your family, and you should be able to get good information here at TA.

There are 2 good 18 hole public access golf courses with views and character in the Village of Oakcreek. The newer of the two is the Sedona Golf Resort. The second and IMHO superior is Oakcreek Country Club. It is a semi-private Robt Trent Jones design. You can get details at www.oakcreekcountryclub.com

Go to the Chamber of Commerce visitor center when you arrive in Sedona. You will find a large number of enthusiastic and knowledgable volunteers who will give you maps and directions to vortex sites and sunset viewing locations that are easily accessible. My two favorites are Cathedral Rock (east side loop trail) looking back at the Nuns and Gibralter vista, and the airport knoll looking across at Snoopy Rock and rim (also a vortex site). Remember that when the sun sets in Sedona the view is not of the sun, but in the opposite direction to see what the sun does to the rocks.

We have plenty of restaurants for you to choose from since we cater to so many tourists every day. Best for seafood is probably Shugrues Hillside. I like Tara Thai in the Village of Oakcreek. I suggest you read the restaurant reviews here at TA for more info and just know that you won't go hungry and you will enjoy the variety that we offer here.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona
reviews: 33
2. Re: Family vacation to Sedona Mar 31-Hoping for local advice

RedRox gives good advice about golfing so I won't address that.

Vortex are local lore. but there are guides who play along with the myth if you want to hire them. The whole Sedona area feels "special" or gives one a spinning feeling. A psychologist customer I talked to this about said it sounded and flelt vertigo to him, from looking up at high cliffs of mountains. Anyway. So don't worry about trying to find some secret place that will be more special than any other. You need to stay on the trails anyway. If you go off trail you are destroying the naturally forming cryptobiotic soil which is the foundation of ecosystem here.

Hiking: you many not be able to take an infant around Courthouse loop it would be very strenuous. I would suggest:

Big Park Loops

Marges Draw

Deadmans Pass

Bell Rock Pathway

You can find a free map at the Sedona Chamber of Commer Visitor Center, it's called "The Recreation Guide"

Restaurants: BBQ there is a place in Uptown that is supposed to be really good, a whole in the wall. Thai Spices is the best but Tara Thai is Ok, there is a new Scheswan (sp) Suchi bar in West Sedona in the Old Market Place shopping area. Again stop by the visitors center.

There are also some parks for kids that the visitors center can help you with.

wickenburg,az
3. Re: Family vacation to Sedona Mar 31-Hoping for local advice

Hi Josh,

I thought of your post yesterday, as I sat in the jacuzzi-looking at the beautiful red rocks with snow on them. So I had to share. I live close to Phoenix, but go to Sedona as often as I can.

A great place for a family gathering is the Quail Ridge Resort, on Canyon Drive. There are a couple of hotels with similar names- thier website is www.quailridgeresort.com. On thier site go to photos-check out the chalet suites-they are fantastic-the photos do not do it justice. Great views, heated pool,fabulous jacuzzi with the biggest most comfortable robes to wear. I've stayed here several times (tell Jim I said hi) and several other places in Sedona and this is one of the best locations,price and ambviance. You'll know from the photos if it right for you-I have more photos, but the ones on the site are very accurate. It's in the Village of Oak Creek, which is alittle under construction right now, so just relax and enjoy the day.

For a great place away from the crowds, yet easy for all to deal with might be Angel Valley. It's a very special place. I've been there on Memorail Weekend and not seen another person-You can go as far as you want or stay close and it's all awesome. The webiste is www.angelvalley.org. If you go, drive to the office and check in and get a map-I think it's a $4 donation, but I always give whatever I can. The website makes it seem very spiritual and metaphysical, but it's what you make it. They have alot of options, including none of them -except enjoying the beautiful place. I have photos aswell, but again thier site shows it well. If you want addtional info or photos-send me an email.

Enjoy Sedona! debby

P.S. sunsets from the airport hill are great-There's also a good hotel to stay up there- SkyranchLodge.com -check it out

North Richland Hills
reviews: 10
4. Re: Family vacation to Sedona Mar 31-Hoping for local advice

Hi. I'm a Texan, but have spent lots of time in Sedona because I used to practice in Phoenix. Take the Trolley Tour (about $15); guides are very knowledgeable and will point out "easy" vortex trails and short scenic hikes. One of the best sunset views and vortex spots is at the airport, which also has a informal cafe known for surprisingly good food. It can be chilly in March & April still, so take layers for the kids. Try breakfast or lunch at the Koffee Pot Restaurant.

Susan in Ft. Worth

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
reviews: 49
5. Re: Family vacation to Sedona Mar 31-Hoping for local advice

Sunsets: the top of Airport Mesa (you pass a vortex site on the drive up). There is public parking because it's a popular spot to watch the sunset. If your group should happen to stay at Sky Ranch, you can request rooms overlooking the canyon. If you have those rooms, you have private decks to step out on and watch the sunset without the crowds that have assembled in the public viewing area. The rooms are nice: two queen beds, fireplace, mini-kitchen. The people are friendly.

Sedona
6. Re: Family vacation to Sedona Mar 31-Hoping for local advice

Hi Josh

It is a beautiful and fresh time you are coming to our beautiful town and there is ALWAYS much to do!

For sunsets- Airport lookout (continue past airport vortex to top of hill), no one will argue that is the best place (especially with two sweet bundles, you'll be steps away from your vehicle) awsome views!

Verde Canyon Railway might interest you-unbeatable scenery, rock formations and cave dwellings--bald eagle watch is still being offered in March--3 1/2 hours I think.

You'll enjoy spending time uptown in the specialty shops and you'll be surrounded by breathtaking rock formations (as you will be ANY place in Sedona.)

If you go out Drycreek Rd, when you get to the first stop sign turn left, second stop sign turn left, continue out the just paved road for a BEAUTIFUL ride (the whole ride) 2 parking areas to just hangout in the AWESOMENESS or easy flat trails.

So much more--Enjoy yourself while your here-you'll like the different "vortex" energy too--don't listen to doubters--just feel it. :-)

Know of a great B&B and a Vacation home uptown. If you need more infor feel free to email us.

Laurie and Wing

7. Re: Family vacation to Sedona Mar 31-Hoping for local advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:18 am, August 20, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Sedona