We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sedona in May

Which Sedona hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
Sedona in May

Hi - We are visiting Sedona mid May for 3 days or so. We are driving up from Phoenix on day one and moving up to Flagstaff on day four to get closer to Grand Canyon. We've booked a Red Rock balloon flight for the early morning of day two and will do a jeep ride, probably on day one (Pink Jeep Broken Arrow based on recommendations if the timing works). I'm just getting back into photography, so will really enjoy the sights. My question is (yes, there really is a question coming) I'd like to photograph the night sky while I'm in Sedona. Can you recommend a good place away from the town lights, in an area that shows off the natural beauty, but that's safe to get to and from with a standard car. Any advice on this (and Sedona generally) would be gratefully received.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
reviews: 144
1. Re: Sedona in May

Sedona is a dark sky town. That means that there are no bright lights for businesses and even the street lighting is subdued or non existent. You can literally be in the heart of town and get great night sky photos, depending of course on the direction that you point your camera.

Where are you staying? If you want to get a little further away, you won't have to go far, but I'll await word on where you'll be based to give you more specific advice.

Regarding the Grand Canyon National Park, I hope you're not planning to stay in Flagstaff to visit the canyon. There are better places either inside or closer to the park. From Flagstaff it's a 90 minute drive. If you want to photograph sunset or sunrise, you need to be staying AT the park. 888-297-2757 Xanterra is the exclusive agent for park lodging. Call them.

Toronto
2. Re: Sedona in May

Thanks RedRox. We are staying at the Bell Rock Inn on State Route 179. I'll check out the accommodation in the park as suggested as I'd like to get a view of the sunrise for sure. Thanks for your help and advice.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
3. Re: Sedona in May

Since you're staying in VOC, either drive up 179 to the Courthouse Butte turnout and parking area, or drive out Verde Valley School Rd or Jacks Canyon Rd. All of these places will get you away from the lights of the village.

Toronto
4. Re: Sedona in May

Thanks again. That's excellent. I noted in a different post that you mentioned West Sedona (via Verde Valley School Rd). What should I look out for over there? I checked out the accommodation in the Grand Canyon park and sadly no luck for the dates we'll be there. Looks like we'll have at least two early starts during our vacation.

Edited: 7:12 pm, April 06, 2014
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
5. Re: Sedona in May

Keep calling Xanterra. Cancelations happen all the time. At the very least choose a place in Tusayan, about 5 miles from the park entrance.

You cannot get to West Sedona via Verde Valley School Road. It ends at Oak Creek at Red Rock Crossing, where you cannot cross the creek. Other West Sedona destinations include Airport Mesa, Crescent Moon park at Red Rock Crossing, Dry Creek Road and all the trails and hikes that are accessible from there, including Enchantment.

Toronto
6. Re: Sedona in May

Really appreciate your help. I'll keep calling Xanterra. Would love to stay in GC for at least one night.

Tucumcari, New...
reviews: 51
7. Re: Sedona in May

Have you looked into the airport? Many people do sunset from the edge of the mesa there. It is a paved road and you are above the city. Because of lighting restrictions dark skys are easy to find. A few miles west of town is forest road 525, well graded and traveled gravel. I saw 30' motorhomes camping along it this weekend. Drive a few miles off the highway and pull over

Toronto
8. Re: Sedona in May

Many thanks mcarrara. I'll take a look. We are there for a few days, so will be able to have a good poke around.

9. Re: Sedona in May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, April 13, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Sedona