We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sedona and Grand Canyon South Rim

Which Sedona hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
new york
reviews: 8
Sedona and Grand Canyon South Rim

My husband and I will be staying 3 nights at the South Rim and 5 nights in Sedona in mid April. We would appreciate recommended hikes and outdoor activities. We often hike 2-3 hours. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you, Kim

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
reviews: 134
1. Re: Sedona and Grand Canyon South Rim

3 nights is a long time at the south rim. Assuming that you are aggressive and avid hikers, take a walk down South Kaibab to Cedar Ridge or Skeleton Point and back. Take a walk along the west rim trail toward Hermit Rest. The trail follows the rim but there is elevation change involved. Another DE here likes the Grand View trail to Horseshoe Mesa. It's a tougher day hike, but can be managed. I wouldn't recommend it for day one though. You need to get acclimated to the GCNP.

At Sedona stop at the ranger station in VOC. They can advise you on a variety of hikes around Sedona based on what you tell them you enjoyed or didn't at GCNP.

new york
2. Re: Sedona and Grand Canyon South Rim

Thank you for your suggestions!

new york
3. Re: Sedona and Grand Canyon South Rim

Why do you think 3 nights at the South Rim is too long? We will be driving in from Phoenix arriving in the evening our first night. We would welcome other suggestions. We will then be driving from the Grand Canyon to Sedona for 4 or 5 nights.Thank you

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
4. Re: Sedona and Grand Canyon South Rim

Most first time visitors to the GCNP spend their time touring the rim view points, historic sites on the rim and a short hike below the rim. This can easily be accomplished in a full 24 hour cycle, or stretched to two nights and most of two days.

Unless you plan to do more extensive hiking below the rim, you'll be done after two nights. Extended hikes and camping below the rim require advance permits. It seems clear from your OP that you aren't in this category.

I'm not discouraging time at the GCNP. I'm just saying that for a first time visit, three nights is probably one or two nights more than you need. Consider adding a night or two at Page instead. Then proceed to Sedona. 4-5 nights there will be ideal.

www.visitpageaz.com

www.visitsedona.com

At Sedona, visit the ranger station or the Chamber of Commerce for suggestions for hikes.

new york
5. Re: Sedona and Grand Canyon South Rim

Thank you again!

Philadelphia...
reviews: 43
6. Re: Sedona and Grand Canyon South Rim

We are going to be doing the same thing in June and I don't think three nights will be too much as we are arriving late Sunday evening in time for the sunset. We will spend the whole next day hiking and touring the area. The following day we are taking a helicopter ride and just chilling and having a picnic lunch. We leave early the following morning for Sedona. I guess we like to "chill" a little more than most but I think you will be fine!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
7. Re: Sedona and Grand Canyon South Rim

Phillygal you prove my point. You will have your full day with 2 nights there. On day three you will leave the park to do the helicopter flight. Hopefully you'll be doing it early in the morning. Then youll go back into the park where the rest of your day is left to "just chill". My advice would be to head for Sedona that day. Most vacationers realize it after the fact, chilling in Sedona is cooler than chilling at the GCNP. More to do in an equally stunning environment.

new york
8. Re: Sedona and Grand Canyon South Rim

Thank you for your feedback. We will be doing a similar trip. Wishing you a great adventure. Who are you going with for the helicopter ride?

cherry hill
reviews: 198
9. Re: Sedona and Grand Canyon South Rim

I have been to Sedona only 4 times but feel the same as the DE above. I think Sedona is a better place to chill than GC and there is so much more moderate to easy hiking there. GC is very steep down then very steep up. We spent one night there , then hiked to the bottom and camped, then the nest day hiked up. Very tough. I also feel that South Kabob was more scenic than Bright Angel. My cousin did Grandview this year and loved it but she and her husband are in great shape. Read my recent post on Sedona hiking.

new york
10. Re: Sedona and Grand Canyon South Rim

What is the recommended drive from Phoenix to the South Rim and then down to Sedona? We plan on going through the Oak Creek Canyon on our way to Sedona from the Grand Canyon. Any recommended hikes and sites to see?