We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No clue where to start....

Which Sedona hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
cleveland
reviews: 58
No clue where to start....

My husband and I plan on visiting sedona March 10 and 11. We are staying with family in phoenix. Driving from phoneix to sedona are there stops we should make on the way in, will be heading out early 7am ish. Not sure what to do while we are there, we like wine, moderate hikes, delicious food, have thought about the jeep tours. I feel overwhelmed by all the different places/things to see.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
reviews: 119
1. Re: No clue where to start....

With only two days I don't recommend any stops.

Read the Itineraries on the right side of this page

Sedona
Destination Expert
for Sedona
reviews: 31
2. Re: No clue where to start....

and look at the post I did for the mother of the ten-year-old. Pink Jeep Tour and Elote Cafe are musts!

Harleysville...
Destination Expert
for Fountain Hills
reviews: 178
3. Re: No clue where to start....

Do you have a place to stay yet?

cleveland
4. Re: No clue where to start....

We are staying at the sedona real inn. I've been looking at a lot of information and wondering if anyone could let me know if the following is do able and help me tweak the following.

We leave Gilbert early 5:30 on Monday, March 11th...what is the best way to get to Sedona (Is Montezuma on the way)? From what I gather we should be able to see the dwelling and the well in under an hour and they open at 8am. Do we drive through oak creek canyon on the way in?

So we'd like to hike upon arriving, the ones we are interested in doing are: Cathedral Rock( the climb to the top, 2.5hours), Chapel of the Holy Cross(Read about 30min here), Bell rock (not to the top, maybe a little ways up) Devils Bridge Trail ( read 2.5 hours here). Which should we do or feasible be able to do before a lunch. We'd also like to see the shopping area that starts with the "T", not much into shopping, but would like to take a look around. Hoping to squeeze in a sunset at airport mesa. I'm having trouble putting these things in order to maximize my time. If you could also point me in the direction (website) that states what time you can visit these locations I'd appreciate it.

cleveland
5. Re: No clue where to start....

Kate410 thought about the Jeep tour but I have had neck surgery and fear this might not agree with me, although it sounds like a great time and would love to maybe not the best option for me

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
6. Re: No clue where to start....

You're over planning and setting yourselves up for a rushed schedule.

Take 101 to I-17 north. Montezuma Castle is just past Camp Verde. You'll need 30-45 minutes there. Montezuma Well is 15-20 minutes away and there you can do a short hike. Allow an hour or so.

As you approach Sedona on 179 you'll see Bell Rock first. Next will be the Cathedral Rock turn off. Then the Chapel of the Holy Cross. I would let weather help determine your choice of hikes between Bell or Cathedral. Don't bother trying to get up high on either if the ledges are wet or icy. It's not a matter of reaching a summit. It's more about taking your time and enjoying the surroundings. The area is roughly the same. The views will be similar but different angles.

By now it will be lunch time. You'll pass Tlaquepaque as you approach the Y, intersection of 179 and 89A.

Plan to spend the afternoon after lunch exploring points west of Uptown Sedona off 89A. Devils Bridge will be in that direction as will many other sights and attractions. You'll see the Airport Road and Mesa. It's my least favorite place for sunset because of the annoying crowds. A better place would be Red Rock Crossing, off Red Rock Loop Road.

Whatever you do, don't hurry. The magic of Sedona is there for you if you'll just take time to let it happen. If you rush to check off a bunch of hikes to different points, you'll miss it all.

cleveland
7. Re: No clue where to start....

Will take airport mesa off and view sunset at red rock crossing. In regards to the Bell and Cathedral you say the area is roughly the same if we did cathedral do you recommend a different area to walk and explore with different views. Is Montezuma something you'd recommend or should we just head into Sedona. Thanks

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
8. Re: No clue where to start....

Montezuma Castle is a stunning cliff dwelling and interesting from an historic and cultural perspective. But you can only view it from a distance. Montezuma Well is more hands on and helps to put things more in perspective.

Why are you leaning toward climbing Cathedral Rock?

Are you planning any time for Oak Creek Canyon?

There are essentially three sides of Sedona from the Y. Bell and Cathedral are on one. Oak Creek Canyon is another and West Sedona is the third. Try to divide your time between these three areas to get the most out of your visit. This is why I always encourage 3 days as a minimum visit.

Harleysville...
Destination Expert
for Fountain Hills
reviews: 178
9. Re: No clue where to start....

We have been staying at Sedona Real lately and they have a most helpful concierge there. We love their breakfast. You will even receive an email from them beforehand asking if they can help you or make any reservations for you.

You will also be very close to Red Rock Loop Rd leading to Red Rock Crossing as mentioned by RedRox. We much prefer this for sunset as it is really stunning and much less crowded.

If you do the drive up Oak Creek Canyon, highly recommended, we really like the sandwiches at Indian Gardens. Get them to take out or they have a nice garden area in the back with tables and chairs and great scenery.

cleveland
10. Re: No clue where to start....

My husband wants to climb up, he's like a 36 year old child and Bell Rock looks a little to intense for me. We are in no hurry when we check out on Wed to head back to Gilbert so we thought about doing oak creek canyon the day we leave, we'd just like to be back in gilbert around 6.