We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mini Day trip/ which? Montezuma's Castle, V-bar_V, or Jerome

Which Sedona hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
St. Louis, MO
reviews: 67
Mini Day trip/ which? Montezuma's Castle, V-bar_V, or Jerome

Besides the Valley Verde Train, we'd like to do one other day trip duirng our week in Sedona and don't want more than about a 45 minute drive each way. A shorter drive works fine too.

Candidates are

(1) Montuzuma's Castle // For DS 17, though, the last time he was there he was just 12, so he might enjoy seeing this again. // I think, though, I've just been here a few too many times and maybe do unfair comparisons of this to Mesa Verde which DS has never been to, but Montezuma's Castle is a favorite of some in our group who go on every Sedona trip. They are leaving the itinary to me, though, this trip, as they get to Sedona way more often than we do.

(2) V-bar-V heritage site (We've never been.) // We did Palatki last time we were in Sedona when we had a high clearance vehicle and enjoyed this. This sort of sounds like a sister place (with more petroglyphas). I'm guessing we'd enjoy this.

(3) Jerome (We've never been.) One of our company's Claims Managers who I am in regular meetings with over the phone just loves this place, thinks it' so quirky and fun / her favorite tourist place to go in all of AZ. She lives in Phoenix. Not sure what we'd do here (wander art places, stop at Audrey headframe park, stop by the Gold King mine area??) // Might be worth trying - not sure I'd know if we'd like it or not unless we give it a try. // More about us -- not really into shopping or wandering stores. Did a recent gold mine tour in Breckenridge, Colorado which was to my surprise quite interesting. It was one of those things we just did to kill some time (downtime from skiing), that ended up instead of being cheesy quite enjoyable and educational).

Note: I haven't been to Tuzigoot either, so that could be (4). It didn't initially make it to the list, though.

I'm kind of leaning to (2) V-bar-V heritage site, but don't have too much of a clue. I hear Montuzuma's castle and Jerome mentioned on this forum way more often as day trips that people do rather than this one which has be second guessing. But given how much we like Palatki (also not mentioned as often as the others) and the good Tripadvisor reviews, it may be a good choice. So which of these three would you choose for us and why?

The main purpose of the trip is to hang out in Sedona, but with a full week there we were thinking of putting one of these on the tentative itinary.

Edited: 12:19 am, February 03, 2013
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
reviews: 144
1. Re: Mini Day trip/ which? Montezuma's Castle, V-bar_V, or Jerome

Montezuma's Castle is a 30 minute visit. Hardly a day trip IMO. Even combining it with Montezuma Well is less than a half day. Add V-Bar-V and it will be a mini day trip, but will mean your son will need to hike well over a mile on a variety of trails and surfaces.

Jerome would be a more well rounded mini day trip IMO. You'll have a chance to learn about the historic town at the local museum parks, shop a variety of galleries and business in town, dine at some really good restaurants for breakfast lunch or dinners, and visit the quirky collection of historic buildings, vehicles and memorabilia at the Gold Mine Ghost Town. Tuzigoot is on the way, as is Old Town Cottonwood. Again, there will be some walking involved in the day, but almost all on paved paths and sidewalks.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
reviews: 59
2. Re: Mini Day trip/ which? Montezuma's Castle, V-bar_V, or Jerome

I have no idea what a "DS" is.

If I could pick only one of these, I would pick Jerome.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
reviews: 61
3. Re: Mini Day trip/ which? Montezuma's Castle, V-bar_V, or Jerome

De Son ???

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 42
4. Re: Mini Day trip/ which? Montezuma's Castle, V-bar_V, or Jerome

Dear Son

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
reviews: 68
5. Re: Mini Day trip/ which? Montezuma's Castle, V-bar_V, or Jerome

As RR pointed out, you can definitely include Tuzigoot and Jerome in the same day.

V bar V and Montezuma's Castle can also be easily combined and neither site requires lengthy visits.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
6. Re: Mini Day trip/ which? Montezuma's Castle, V-bar_V, or Jerome

In a previous post the OP noted that her dear son would be recovering from knee surgery and that hiking issues could be a challenge.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
reviews: 68
7. Re: Mini Day trip/ which? Montezuma's Castle, V-bar_V, or Jerome

Maybe I'm mistaken, but Jerome won't involve hiking and Tuzigoot is fairly level walking and the "museum" building is interesting in itself.

V bar V is also a level walk even though gravel. The paved path at Montezumas Castle is probably a little more inclined. I wouldn't expect to spend more than a half day between the two.

We have done all four in a long day, but have been back to each location to give them more attention.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
8. Re: Mini Day trip/ which? Montezuma's Castle, V-bar_V, or Jerome

It's Montezuma Well that is more of a hike. Personally, I find MW more interesting than MC. Less wow factor, but more to take in.

St. Louis, MO
reviews: 67
9. Re: Mini Day trip/ which? Montezuma's Castle, V-bar_V, or Jerome

Thanks everyone. You've talked me into trying Jerome for a day trip. And we'll see how our Sedona days go and play it by ear on Indian Ruins adventures (add something in for part of the day if we're inclined.) We usually do quite a bit of hiking in Sedona, so may have extra time for a few other things if we're doing hour treks vs. three to four hour hikes I know we won't run out of things to do though. Sedona is a great place for anyone and wonderful too for anyone interested in photography like my son..

I know we'll have a great time whatever we do, and being in the area for a full six days will give us lots of flexibility and opportunities. Trip number five for us, and we're really looking forward to it.

Sedona, Arizona
reviews: 3
10. Re: Mini Day trip/ which? Montezuma's Castle, V-bar_V, or Jerome

Good choice, Jerome is the best pick. Be sure and stop at the kaleidoscope shop while there. Is your DS still on crutches? If he is, just be careful as there is a lot of stairs, high curbs and uneven ground.