We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Schnebly Hill Road

Which Sedona hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dayton, Ohio and...
reviews: 6
Schnebly Hill Road

I know this is an unpaved road, where rental vehicles will not be allowed. But, if I were to rent a wrangler from one of the local outfitters (hoping I can find one) I have a question about the road.

Is this road on a steep cliff without guard rails? The satellite map seems to show a flat area, but I can't tell for sure.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
reviews: 118
1. Re: Schnebly Hill Road

A locally rentedJeep Wrangler should have little trouble with SHR. Right now, and until after the spring thaw, the road is closed beyond the 5 mile post. The road does climb. There are no guard rails. And there are drop offs. But I'm not aware of any vehicles falling off since the beer truck about a decade ago.

There have been more accidents and roll overs down on 89A in Oak Creek Canyon where the road is paved, but careless people drive at higher speeds.

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
reviews: 96
2. Re: Schnebly Hill Road

No, there are steep switchbacks as it descends the rim and then a steady downhill into Oak Creek Canyon. There are no guardrails. Here's a link to the Google Terrain view, which shows you what it's actually like: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=sedona,+az&ll=34.876073,-111.703405&spn=0.042812,0.090895&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&hnear=Sedona,+Coconino,+Arizona&gl=us&t=p&z=14

Dayton, Ohio and...
reviews: 6
3. Re: Schnebly Hill Road

Thank you both.

4. Re: Schnebly Hill Road

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, January 23, 2014