We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions pertaining to a Babymoon late Feb/early March

Which Sedona hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Champaign, Illinois
reviews: 52
Suggestions pertaining to a Babymoon late Feb/early March

Hello,

My husband and I are trying to put together a trip to Sedona (with a day or so at the Grand Canyon) for the last week in February or first two weeks in March. This is for a one-week baby moon as we are expecting our first child in May.

He and I are (or, were) runners and very active so looking to do some hiking (moderate), exploring, photo ops in Sedona and GCNP, and probably a heli tour at GCNP. We also want to find a great B&B with on site or close proximity spa services. I would love to indulge a bit in some pregnancy pampering. Of course good food is on the radar as well.

Neither of us want to get too "fancy" in terms of dress. The more my belly expands the less I want to dress up if I am not at work!

We are not sure where to start or what a good itinerary would be. Any thoughts/suggestions would be amazing.

Thank you in advance!

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Page, Grand Canyon National Park
reviews: 82
1. Re: Suggestions pertaining to a Babymoon late Feb/early March

Wow, this is the first time I've heard the expression "babymoon!" Learn something new every day...

Regarding the Grand Canyon, it is 7,000' above sea level, so the air is thinner. Plus it can get very cold up here, including the possibility of snow and sub-zero temperatures. This year in particular has been super cold. I would check with your doctor before committing to it. Also, the helicopters fly at 8,000' ASL and they're NOT pressurized, so women in their 2nd and 3rd trimesters are typically discouraged from flying.

If your Dr. OK's it, then I would recommend staying a night at the Grand Canyon, either in the park (Grand Canyon Village) or Tusayan (Grand Canyon Village South) just outside the park. For GC Park Village visit www.grandcanyonlodges.com or call 888-297-2757 If nothing available there, which wouldn't surprise me at this point, try Tusayan. Info on those hotels ->: http://bit.ly/U6kL7G

Staying overnight will allow you to enjoy the Grand Canyon at a much more leisurely pace, and experience a sunset and/or sunrise. If you want, you can enter the park via the direct route (Highway 89A to Flagstaff, 180/64 to the park), which takes 2-2.5 hours, then exit the park the "long way" out via Highway 64 on the Desert View/East Rim Drive, then take Highway 89 into Flagstaff then back to Sedona on 89A. Or take it in reverse, coming in the "long way," and out the "short way." All weather permitting at the time of year you're proposing to come. Keep an eye on www.az511.com when you travel

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
reviews: 134
2. Re: Suggestions pertaining to a Babymoon late Feb/early March

Agreeing with K-Bot about the GCNP cautions. But the first thing you MUST do is book lodging there. One night will probably be sufficient. Use the links she provided. Don't be surprised to find most of the lodges fully booked already.

http://www.visitsedona.com/article/71

Use this link to explore B&B and spa options in Sedona. Give us a budget and an idea of the spa services and treatments that you think you'd like to experience while in Sedona. There's something for everyone, but if you'll tell us a little more about what you want, we can avoid throwing dozens of names at you that might be inappropriate.

As for dressing up, NOBODY gets dressed up for anything in Sedona or the GCNP. Don't worry about that one.

Champaign, Illinois
3. Re: Suggestions pertaining to a Babymoon late Feb/early March

Thank you both for your assistance!

We are working with an open ended budget. Air fare is paid through miles so not worried about that portion. Otherwise probably waivering between the Cozy Cactus B&B and the Cathedral Hideaway B&B. I like the small feel of them both.

I am looking for an array of spa services: facial, massage, body wrap...my husband is not into any of that but might tolerate a massage if I were getting one alongside him. He is really weird about strangers touching him. Just looking for pregnancy safe treatmeants that will help relax and rejuvenate me. I work in higher education which can be quite stressful so this little escape before our son arrives will be heaven.

There are actually rooms it seems in GCNP. Suggestions on the following:

Maswik Lodge

Kachina Lodge

Thunderbird Lodge

El Tovar Hotel

Yavapai Lodge

Bright Angel Lodge

Forgive me if I seem idiotic about any of this, I am rather unfamiliar with the GCNP.

Thank you again for your assistance. I am so excited to finally make it to Sedona and GCNP although perhaps not in the "condition" I would have preferred...I will still enjoy (easy) hiking and sight seeing!!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
4. Re: Suggestions pertaining to a Babymoon late Feb/early March

If you can get a room at El Tovar, that's the place to book at GCNP.

Choose Cozy Cactus B&B for Sedona. They can direct you to day spa services. Lori is the manager there and she gives an excellent massage and reiki work.

Champaign, Illinois
5. Re: Suggestions pertaining to a Babymoon late Feb/early March

Thank you!

So...we are going to fly into PHX on the 3rd. Stay the night somewhere in PHX since the flight is so late. 4th go to GCNP and stay at El Tovar (booked) spend 4 and part of 5th at GCNP. 5th drive to Sedona and stay at Cozy Cactus. We will have the 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th to hang out in Sedona. Leave for home via PHX on the 10th.

Suggestions on routes to take from PHX to GCNP/GCNP to Sedona/etc? Suggestions on places to eat/things to do along way given my itinerary?

I am so excited (as is my husband) for this baby moon!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
6. Re: Suggestions pertaining to a Babymoon late Feb/early March

From PHX to GCNP take I-17 to I-40 east to 89, north to AZ64. go slightly beyond that last intersection to enjoy brunch or lunch at Cameron Trading Post. You won't need to eat again until dinner. Take AZ64 into the GCNP at the east gate at Desert View where you'll get your first look at the canyon. Then follow the road and stop at the view points until you arrive at El Tovar.

Depart the GCNP on the following day via the main gate at Tusayan and follow AZ64 down to Williams. Take I-40 east back to I-17 south to the first exit for 89A and Oak Creek Canyon to Sedona. After passing through Uptown, take 179 down to VOC and the Cozy Cactus.

Say hi to Lori for me and tell her I miss my massages. She can direct you to everything in Sedona.

Champaign, Illinois
7. Re: Suggestions pertaining to a Babymoon late Feb/early March

RedRox-

THANK YOU. And Lori says "Hello" ( I have emailed with her) and that you give really good massages yourself!! :-)

Turns out we are now DRIVING from Illinois to Arizona. This should be a special road trip (if I don't lose my mind). Driving to Amarillo to overnight. Then on to Tusayan to overnight. Then to Grand Canyon (staying at El Tovar one night 4-5th). Heading to Cozy Cactus on the 5-10th. Cannot wait!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
8. Re: Suggestions pertaining to a Babymoon late Feb/early March

Whoa! Il to Amarillo is a lonnnnng way in one day. We did it in reverse and took two days with an overnight in MO. Since Tusayan is right outside the gate of the GCNP, I suggest that you allow three days to get to GCNP rather than two. Maybe a stop in OK first night and ALB on night two.

Lori called me last night. She's in CA this weekend at a conference. We're going to have breakfast together in Palm Springs on Monday. Not enough time for massages. 8-(

Champaign, Illinois
9. Re: Suggestions pertaining to a Babymoon late Feb/early March

Now for hiking....

My husband and I are runners. Er.... I guess I WAS an avid runner pre-pregnancy. While I do not run during this time in my life, I still walk daily and feel I am in good shape. With that being said, I realize I cannot hike like I did two summers ago in Montana or even last summer in Sicily. However, are there decent hikes (with great views) that are easy to moderate? Specific suggestions?

Normally I would be all about rock climbing and scrambling to the top of rocks but....not wanting to get hurt.....

10. Re: Suggestions pertaining to a Babymoon late Feb/early March

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, February 07, 2014