We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant coupons

Which Sedona hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
new york
reviews: 74
Restaurant coupons

Noticed that the coupon topic was closed and chose to star a recent one.. Any good sites for restaurant coupons other than Sedona coupons site? Most of the coupons there have between 10%-20% off but tack on a Gratuity charge added to bill before discount.. Wheres the savings if the coupon is for 15% off and a 18% gratuity tacked on?

thanks in advance

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
reviews: 144
1. Re: Restaurant coupons

Coupon offers in Sedona can change from week to week. Best sources are the Red Rock News weekend Scene insert and Kudos weekly magazine (free). Other longer term coupons from annual charity books etc will usually have strings attached.

You are correct that 10-20% is the norm and often when a coupon is used a gratuity charge will automatically be added. The savings still exist, unless you were planning to stiff the server by leaving no tip. If that's the case, then they probably don't want your business anyway. A 10% discount in Sedona is basically a savings on the sales tax, which is almost that amount.

There are weekly offers at some places that involve free entrees or two for one pricing. Those are usually the best deals, but expect an automatic tip charge on those checks too. And of course the tips will be based on the full check, before discounts are calculated.

north phoenix
reviews: 4
2. Re: Restaurant coupons

Restaurant.com

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
reviews: 13
3. Re: Restaurant coupons

Restaurant.com is a good site, just be sure you read the fine print carefully. Most of the coupons require you to spend a certain amount of money, and the coupon may or may not include alcohol purchases.

I also agree with RR on the gratuity thing - were you not planning to leave your server a tip? A coupon is a coupon; 10 - 20% off is still a savings. There's a reason that restaurants tack on an automatic gratuity - it's to keep people from stiffing their server out of a tip based on the full amount of the check. Servers have to pay taxes on their food sales BEFORE coupons, which means that if you give a server a tip based on the cost of your meal AFTER the discount, you're stiffing them. An 18% tip based on the full cost of your meal is quite reasonable.

new york
reviews: 74
4. Re: Restaurant coupons

thank you for the quick replies.. I always tip but with gratuities added, you are assuming that the service deserves the 18% tip.. I do not want to be locked into tipping before the service.. Crummy service does not deserve a big tip, period

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
reviews: 13
5. Re: Restaurant coupons

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it too much. If the service is REALLY that bad, you can usually talk to a manager regarding the auto gratuity, and lower it if necessary. But personally, the service has to be pretty awful for me to lower an auto grat...I know what it's like to be a server.

Cottonwood, Arizona
6. Re: Restaurant coupons

Autotip=pet peeve

7. Re: Restaurant coupons

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, July 05, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Sedona