We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for GREAT Mexican Restaurant

Which Scottsdale hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Michigan
Looking for GREAT Mexican Restaurant

We loved Scottsdale the last time we stayed there, and will be returning in the middle of November. I am looking for a REALLY great Mexican restaurant, preferably one that serves Menudo...I don't like it (could be that it has tripe and pigs feet in the traditional recipe!), but my husband LOVES it. We don't seem to be able to find it at many places! If anyone has any ideas on where in the Scottsdale area we might have some luck, please let me know! Actually any help in the restaurant favorites area would be appreciated! We have some great restaurants back home in the Detroit metro area, but like to see what other places are known for! Thanks!

Phoenix Az
reviews: 41
1. Re: Looking for GREAT Mexican Restaurant

I know that there are alot of opinions of what is good or not for restaurants, but I look for good food, price, cleanliness and service. Most of the time, I enjoy a great mom and pop or family owner business. That being said, I have never eaten Menudo, but I know that these two family businesses will give you great food and the third one is a visitor favorite.

Oaxaca ~ 1516 W. Van Buren St. Phoenix – the location isn’t one that you would want to visit at nighttime do to the area. They are too busy to go at the lunch hour, so this is a good place to visit just after the lunch rush and before the dinner hours. Everyone who works downtown Phoenix in the state offices goes there. It has been a landmark in the area and a true favorite for Mexican food. They serve Menudo.

El Bravo ~ 8338 N 7th Street Phoenix – another family owned business that has always been a favorite for good home cooking Mexican style. Again – they are busy at the lunch and dinner hours. I believe they have Menudo.

Carlos O’brien’s ~ 7111 E. Bell Rd. Phoenix/Scottsdale area is a visitor favorite for Mexican food. They have been in the valley for over 25 years at another location 16th street and Northern Ave. I believe that they have Menudo.

I know that there are some fine dining Mexican restaurants but they may not have Menudo and that was something you seemed to feel hubby had to have while visiting the area. These are some of the best Mexican food places in Phoenix area.

Now I have to go and order Menudo to find out why people like it. ;-)

Phoenix, Arizona
reviews: 155
2. Re: Looking for GREAT Mexican Restaurant

a few more to check out-

Barrio Cafe on 16th street, a new mexican fusion place, I enjoyed it but not traditional mexican.

Mi Patio on 7th ave and Osborn, inexpensive, good food and very friendly, I take everyone there when they come to town. $1 margaritas dont hurt either.

Dont be afraid of the little taco-standish type places, they are usually awesome if not a bit scary looking. They will have the best Menudo, I wont eat it either and I am Latino....

Phoenix Az
reviews: 41
3. Re: Looking for GREAT Mexican Restaurant

Dakotagirl302

Update:

After doing some checking I was wrong on two of the locations that I thought sold Menudo. You can get it at the Oaxaco 1516 W. Van Buren St, Phx. and at another place that I forget about name Sylvia’s La Canasta at 5504 N 7th Ave. Phx. Important,,, they sale Menudo only on Saturday and Sundays. The other locations are great Mexican food cafes that are landmarks in the valley but they don’t do Menudo.

Hope that helps? Enjoy ;-)

Tempe, AZ
4. Re: Looking for GREAT Mexican Restaurant

I don't think they serve menudo, but you are probably going to have a hard time finding a "really great" Mexican restaurant that serves menudo anyway, especially in Scottsdale.

Anyway, Los Sombreros is generally regarded as one of the best Mexican restaurants in the Phoenix area. And it is in Scottsdale unlike the previous suggestions you have received:

http://www.lossombreros.com/

Phoenix
reviews: 3
5. Re: Looking for GREAT Mexican Restaurant

I have heard tell that Carolina's is great. I've never been there, but I have been to Los Dos, but a couple years ago. I was happy with the food, but don't know that I can say its the best to be had in Phoenix.

Carolina's serves Menudo on Saturdays per their website: http://www.carolinasmex.com/menu.htm

I want to reiterate that I have heard nothing bad about Carolina's in recent memory. In fact, I think I'm talking myself into trying it!

Personally I like La Pinata at 3330 North 19th Avenue, but don't know if they have menudo as I won't touch it with a ten foot pole. I also like Amado's, its not really a restaurant but more of a 7-11 with a couple of booths to eat at. If interested, I can get you some menu info on Amado's, as they are not on line. Their food is terrific, but its in no imaginable way upscale, and its not in Scottsdale.

Phoenix, Arizona
reviews: 155
6. Re: Looking for GREAT Mexican Restaurant

Armandos and La pinata are both great. they are in my area and I enjoy both of them.

La Pinata is better food than Mi Patio, but also more expensive. Armandos is definately low brow and great food.

7. Re: Looking for GREAT Mexican Restaurant

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 pm, August 19, 2009