We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vegas to Scottsdale thru Sedona? Is it worth the time!

Which Scottsdale hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bolton, Canada
Vegas to Scottsdale thru Sedona? Is it worth the time!

WE are spending the 1st week of our vacation in Vegas, then travelling to Scottsdale for the 2nd week, Flight into Vegas and return from Phoenix back home.Sept 8-22nd.2012.

My question is on mapquest shows approx, 5 hours trip by car from Vegas by taking I93 past kingman to Hwy 60 into Scottsdale, however on Sedona TA forum they say drive from Sedona to Scottsdale is a site to see.

It states extra 1 hr if you do Hwy I17 or extra 1.5 hrs if you take Hwy 89 to Hwy 179 back to interstate 17.There a total of 6 1/2 hrs from vegas to Scottsdale if i take the longest route.

Is it worth taking the longest route to see the sites or can you see everything by taking the Interstate17? Thoughts?

Edited: 9:17 pm, August 05, 2012
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
reviews: 144
1. Re: Vegas to Scottsdale thru Sedona? Is it worth the time!

You won't see any of Sedona or the beauty from the interstate. You have to take 89A if you want to see anything at all.

Is it worth the time? 1.5 hours? It will be the best 1.5 hours of your two weeks. My question for you is, is it worth two weeks of your valuable vacation time to spend it all in Las Vegas and Scottsdale?

Bolton, Canada
2. Re: Vegas to Scottsdale thru Sedona? Is it worth the time!

I have seen and read many of your replies, it's great advise RedRox you usually give, We have a full week in Vegas planned with many events plus our accomadations make it only possible to stay in each place for a 7 night stay based on cost .(7 night stays each place)

I have read about the beautiful scenery around Sedona and will want to arrive by 4 pm into Scottsdale(Sheraton Oasis)therefore leaving Vegas by 8 am, i assume if we take the longest route .We wish to see the scenery during the drive to Scottsdale but really do not wish to stop many times on the way as it is already a 6+ hour drive.

Also have planned out 2nd week in Scottsdale at least 4 out of 7 days and may have a day or two when we could return to Sedona area if we wish to explore that area more.without having to spend extra for a hotel when our week stay in scottsdale is booked already at a great rate.

Just thought we would see most of same scenery by taking interstate 17, but if you state it worth going down 89A to 179 then back onto interstate17 i trust your advise and am willing to drive the extra 1/2 to 1 1/2 hours it may take.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
3. Re: Vegas to Scottsdale thru Sedona? Is it worth the time!

You won't regret it.

Kelowna, BC
reviews: 104
4. Re: Vegas to Scottsdale thru Sedona? Is it worth the time!

I agree with RedRox, you won't regret taking the 89A. The scenery is infinitely better than you think it's going to be, very spectacular! If you don't want to stay overnight in Sedona, you could conceivably leave Scottsdale early one morning and spend a few hours poking around and seeing quite a lot before returning to Scottsdale. Admittedly, you'll be really tired when you get home, but it's worth it.

Tucson, Arizona
reviews: 11
5. Re: Vegas to Scottsdale thru Sedona? Is it worth the time!

Personally, I would cancel the last 3-4 days in Vegas and the first 3-4 days in Scottsdale and add those days to Sedona. Vegas and Scottsdale really do nothing for me. But if you prefer gambling, shopping, and just loafing around a resort, I guess Vegas and Scottsdale would work.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
6. Re: Vegas to Scottsdale thru Sedona? Is it worth the time!

The OP has opted for the 7 night package deals in LV and Scottsdale. Hopefully they'll get enough of a taste of Sedona to come back for a 7 day deal there someday.

Bolton, Canada
7. Re: Vegas to Scottsdale thru Sedona? Is it worth the time!

Yes we have already prebooked our 7 night stays at Vegas and Scottsdale. WE feel by taking this route through Sedona we will get to see the scenery and if we wish to return to Sedona for a day trip from Scottsdale it would be easy to do, After all it is only a 2 hr drive back to Sedona.

Thanks again RedRox for the helpful advise.

Tempe, AZ
reviews: 4
8. Re: Vegas to Scottsdale thru Sedona? Is it worth the time!

Enjoy your time the way you want. Sedona isn't the greatest place in AZ for everyone. I don't find it particularly interesting, and would rather spend time in Scottsdale. The scenery on the 89 is very nice though, and should give you an idea of the terrain and whether or not you find value in returning.

Bolton, Canada
9. Re: Vegas to Scottsdale thru Sedona? Is it worth the time!

Yes Boxing John , thank you, someones treasure is another ones junk so to speak.I like seeing nice scenery but i wouldn't make it a total trip worth. From what i read about Sedona and seen in pictures a 1 or 2 day trip is the most we would probably be interested in.

i'm sure we will enjoy the trip down from Flagstaff, through Sedona to Scottsdale as i'm sure by the sounds of it, the sights are truely something not to be missed.

reviews: 6
10. Re: Vegas to Scottsdale thru Sedona? Is it worth the time!

If you are driving from Las Vegas to Scottsdale, it will be a complete waste if you dont visit the Grand Canyon, Flagstaff and Sedona/Oak Creek Canyon area. I suggest seeing all that, and then staying at least for a night or two at one of the hotels in Sedona, as its a very unique and peaceful place, then head down to Scottsdale. All of our guests do this and we have never had a single complaint.