We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scottsdale to Monument vValley

Which Scottsdale hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
South Wales, UK
Scottsdale to Monument vValley

Hi,

I'm planning my family's vacation in August to Arizona . I have just booked my hotel in Scottsdale and plan to move on to Monument Valley next.

Can anyone tell me if this is realistic or should I really be planning a stopover in Flagstaff for example?

Williams, Arizona
reviews: 17
1. Re: Scottsdale to Monument vValley

Its a long drive. Phx to Flagstaff is 2 1/2 hrs depending on traffic. Then another 3 to 3 1/2 hrs to Monument Valley just from Flagstaff. SO just getting there is an ordeal. You might want to come up to Flag the evening before stay the night then get up early in the am the next day. This would be better.

www.americansouthwest.net/arizona/map.html

Colchester UK
2. Re: Scottsdale to Monument vValley

Hi

Dragonflylady is quite right it is a long drive from Scottsdale to Monument Valley and I'd second her advice to stopover in Flagstaff. www.flagstaffarizona.org may help you track down some lodgings.

For a more interesting drive from Scottsdale to Flagstaff take AZ87 and CoRd3 and just watch the scenery change, amazing.

Enjoy

Tony

tony.grant2@ntlworld.com

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 27
3. Re: Scottsdale to Monument vValley

You could break the journey in Sedona. It's more beautiful (and more expensive) than Flagstaff but if you have the time you could leave Scottsdale on I-17 and then cut north west via Prescott and the arty community of Jerome. This small ex mining town is built into the side of a hill and offers some great views towards the red rocks of Sedona.

The next morning take the twisting 89A up Oak Creek Canyon towards Flagstaff and then on via Cameron (a good place for a pit stop) on 89, 160 and 163 to Monument Valley.

Gouldings Lodge is the only place to stay in the Valley. It gets booked very quickly especially in August so you might have to look at motels and hotels in the uninspiring towns of Kayenta and Mexican Hat.

South Wales, UK
4. Re: Scottsdale to Monument vValley

Thanks people for your replies and info.

I have booked Goulding's lodge for 2 days.

I'm still inclined to leave Scottsdale early and take my time driving up to Monument Valley, stopping off in Flagstaff for some food on the way.

Thanks again.

Williams, Arizona
reviews: 17
5. Re: Scottsdale to Monument vValley

Hey PG98

Read the Flagstaff forum posts and I have tons of resteraunts listed. CHarlies on Leroux st downtown is a favorite and they have an outside dining area. You can even get a Navajo taco there if you are interested. Beaver st brewery is great too just turn right on Beaver st and it on the right hand side past the tracks. www.flagstaffchamber.com

Newbury, United...
reviews: 3
6. Re: Scottsdale to Monument vValley

Hi PG98 - We are also going to be staying in Scottsdale & doing a trip to Monument Valley - we have booked a stay at Gouldings Lodge also but we are travelling in October - We have booked Ghost City Inn in Jerome as got excellent reviews on trip adviser & is reasonably priced & we received a nice email back from them- we have only booked that on our return from Monument Valley as like you we are thinking of taking our time driving without an overnight stay when travelling to Monument Valley- therefore it would be very interesting if you post how you got on when you return to the UK - by the way nice Welsh emblem my other half is Welsh.

South Wales, UK
7. Re: Scottsdale to Monument vValley

Hi indreams,

I will surely do that and thanks again to all that have helped me on this post..

petegreg